Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Folks,

I've been learning and applying the TFP techniques for several months now. With all the great support/hand-holding it's working well for me in all areas except one and that's the pH test. For some reason this is just very difficult for me. I do all the others with ease. I also have a lot of lab experience but I always used a high dollar meter that cost $$$$$. From what I've read here I think other are having this issue as well. I found a solution that is really working superbly for me so I thought I'd pass it on. I bought a battery powered digital pH meter and a bottle of 7.0 pH calibration fluid. Each were less than $20. I used the digital pH meter at the same time as I do the color test. Over just a few days I got waaay better with the color test. It's really been a great way to teach me and give me confidence of my red shade "interpretation". I calibrated the pH meter frequently at first but I was amazed that it only needed adjustment once over the past 8 weeks. Now I'm able to rely on the color test with confidence and if I'm ever not sure I do the pH meter as a back-up. I know cheap pH probes haven't been reliable in the past but new sensor technology and electronics have made these new ones way better.

The calibration fluid and meter were under $20 each and I think you could buy a smaller bottle of calibration fluid to save money. I've only used a very small amount of my bottle.

The thought of spending $35 just to learn how to do this test won't be for everybody but I've saved WAY more than that by taking over the pool so it was a good idea for me.

I hope this helps somebody. And if you want the brand details let me know. As far as I can tell many of the pH probes look identical and the one I bought is probably sold under several brands.

Chris

PS my pH today was 7.8! And I'm sure the number is correct!

I hate the color matching, too. I took a bit different path to reading those colors, though. Since I already had the Acid (R-0005) and the Base (R-0006) Demand Reagents, I've been using them to double check my results against the comparator. If you don't already have them, both "A" size (¾ ounce) bottles can be bought for less than $5.00!

Folks,

I've been learning and applying the TFP techniques for several months now. With all the great support/hand-holding it's working well for me in all areas except one and that's the pH test. For some reason this is just very difficult for me. I do all the others with ease. I also have a lot of lab experience but I always used a high dollar meter that cost $$$$$. From what I've read here I think other are having this issue as well. I found a solution that is really working superbly for me so I thought I'd pass it on. I bought a battery powered digital pH meter and a bottle of 7.0 pH calibration fluid. Each were less than $20. I used the digital pH meter at the same time as I do the color test. Over just a few days I got waaay better with the color test. It's really been a great way to teach me and give me confidence of my red shade "interpretation". I calibrated the pH meter frequently at first but I was amazed that it only needed adjustment once over the past 8 weeks. Now I'm able to rely on the color test with confidence and if I'm ever not sure I do the pH meter as a back-up. I know cheap pH probes haven't been reliable in the past but new sensor technology and electronics have made these new ones way better.

The calibration fluid and meter were under $20 each and I think you could buy a smaller bottle of calibration fluid to save money. I've only used a very small amount of my bottle.

The thought of spending $35 just to learn how to do this test won't be for everybody but I've saved WAY more than that by taking over the pool so it was a good idea for me.

I hope this helps somebody. And if you want the brand details let me know. As far as I can tell many of the pH probes look identical and the one I bought is probably sold under several brands.

Chris

PS my pH today was 7.8! And I'm sure the number is correct!

Which pH meter did you buy? Where did you get it and the calibration fluid?

I hate the color matching, too. I took a bit different path to reading those colors, though. Since I already had the Acid (R-0005) and the Base (R-0006) Demand Reagents, I've been using them to double check my results against the comparator. If you don't already have them, both "A" size (¾ ounce) bottles can be bought for less than $5.00!

Thanks for the input and that may be a better way for others to consider. I don't have those reagents in my TF-100 kit but the price sounds great. So does this also eliminate the red shade interpretation?

This always helps me...

the colors going from low pH to high pH are....

yellow 6.8 and lower
yellow orange 7.0
orange 7.2
orange red 7.4-7.5
red 7.6-7.8
red violet 8.0
violet 8.2 and higher

Which pH meter did you buy? Where did you get it and the calibration fluid?

Folks,

I've had a couple of contacts from members that would like to know the brands so here they are. I have no connection with them and I'd consider the other alternative suggested by ewkearns earlier in this thread.

The items I bought were:

General Hydroponics PH 7 Calibration Solution for Gardening, 1-Quart

Dr.Meter® 0.1pH PH002 High Accuracy pH Meter/pH Pen Tester with ATC(Automatic Temperature Compensation) LCD 0-14 pH Measurement Range

Both items were under $20 on Amazon and may be available other places cheaper. A couple of things to note are that you can find meters closer to $10 but they're not temperature compensated. They may work fine as well but I didn't want to make this more complicated requiring a manual temp compensation calculation. It's already a little pain with the calibration. Also most of the meters come with a small packet of powder to make your own calibration fluid with distilled water that you can save and reuse at least a few times. You may want to delay buying the calibration fluid to see if the "make your own fluid" method works for you. I bought a quart of pre-made solution. You could easily get by with half this amount if you have a small covered container that you can use to store the solution in. I've tested my meter every week for 8 weeks and never had to adjust it after the first adjustment.

I hope all this works as well for y'all as it has for me.

Chris

- - - Updated - - -

This always helps me...

the colors going from low pH to high pH are....

yellow 6.8 and lower
yellow orange 7.0
orange 7.2
orange red 7.4-7.5
red 7.6-7.8
red violet 8.0
violet 8.2 and higher

Dave,

More great advice from you and thanks so much! The problem for me is the red, red violet, and violet... I really think I may have a little color-blindness or something. My wife seems to get these colors way better than I do. Your guide does help a little even for me though.

Chris

Chris,

Many men are partially red-green color blind (the most common form of color blindness) as it is an inherited genetic trait. Most of the color pigments our eyes use are generated from the X chromosome DNA. Because men only have one X chromosome, we are much more likely to have color discriminating deficiencies (~8% of men versus 0.5% of women). See this article from the NIH - Facts About Color Blindness | National Eye Institute

So now you can explain to your wife why she must take over pool water testing and you will be responsible for equipment repair and keeping the cooler properly stocked with adult beverages :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Chris,

Many men are partially red-green color blind (the most common form of color blindness) as it is an inherited genetic trait. Most of the color pigments our eyes use are generated from the X chromosome DNA. Because men only have one X chromosome, we are much more likely to have color discriminating deficiencies (~8% of men versus 0.5% of women). See this article from the NIH - Facts About Color Blindness | National Eye Institute

So now you can explain to your wife why she must take over pool water testing and you will be responsible for equipment repair and keeping the cooler properly stocked with adult beverages :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Matt,

That make so much sense! I also have a double recessive gene that allows me to taste a very bitter unstable compound in cucumbers. Only 1 in 23 are inflicted with this. The chemical is so unstable that it reacts to a tasteless chemical in the pickling process (I love sour pickles). But I've proven the ability to taste one cucumber seed in about 25 gal of water with a double blind test. I'm so far off subject that I won't explain further. But I really do like the fact that I've got a slam dunk case that my wife should do the testing! Now is there something that goes with this for the pool scrubbing???

Many thanks!

Chris

Matt,

Now is there something that goes with this for the pool scrubbing???

Many thanks!

Chris

Unless you're married to Ronda Rousey, you're stuck with the manual labor...sorry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I ordered this a couple of weeks ago and have had good luck using it. It's a nice way to cross check my color interpretation for pH on the Taylor test tube.

I have not had my FC above 10 in a long time, but it will be nice to have this digital tester when the FC is high. The drop test is known to read high when FC is above 10.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.