Motor not working

CourtK

May 22, 2014
Altadena, CA
My single speed pump motor hums for a second and then turns off. It will repeat this every few minutes, but i'm not sure of the interval. I have not taken out the motor to inspect, but I'm assuming it's a starter or something like that. I doubt it's thermal or obstruction of the impeller, but I can verify later. Unless someone can explain the advantages of a variable speed, I'm taking this opportunity to switch to a two speed motor and I want to make sure i get the right replacement. I'm not in a hurry to do the replacement since I plan on keeping the pumps off and the pool covered until this summer.

The in-ground pool is approx. 35x18 (way too big in my opinion), two return jets, one return jet for the cleaner, no water features and plan on putting in a 3 way diverter valve with actuator for a solar heater. The current pump is an A.O. Smith Part # 7-177450-03. The label says HP --- SF--- PH 1, I'm assuming it's a 1 HP Full Rated. The DE filter is a Pentair 2048. I have a booster pump to run the Polaris 280. The booster pump label says HP 3/4 SF 1.50 PH 1. It's bearings are loud, but will wait to replace it. I have Hayward Goldmine AGR T-Cell 15.

Should I replace the motor with a two speed 1 HP, or should I go up? I don't know how old this pump is, but I'm wondering how many years I should expect out of a pump?

Thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.