Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward pump running dry impact

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward pump running dry impact

Hi, I have a hayward max flo pump for my inground pool. I am curious as to what would happen if for whatever reason the pump ran dry and nobody was around to turn the pump off. All comments are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Well, the obvious answer is that if it ran dry for enough time, it would burn up. How long is that? don't know, and wouldn't want to find out.

Why do you ask, are you having a problem?

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

The water in the pump will heat up. The heat will convert to steam. Excessive heat will result in components melting down. First the Pump basket. Then either the pump pot (where the basket is) and or impeller. Next, the PVC plumbing to the inlet of the pump.
    But that's all.
    Oh, wait, the motor will shut down after a while (usually after the damage is done), due to a high temperature cut off in the motor, so you may think the motor is bad. Let it cool back down by leaving it off for a few hours.

But that's the worst that can happen.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

4. Back To Top    #4
    So the parts will burn up (melt) but not the actual motor?
    Are you giving a serious answer here, or tongue-in-cheek? (Sometimes it is hard to tell, especially when several of us, a-hem, tend to be smart-alecs! )

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

5. Back To Top    #5
    I know that a lot of the pumps have a high temp safety shut off. You let them cool off and they work again. Mine shut off once on a day when it had gotten over 100 deg F outside, that was before the unit was covered/protected from the sun.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

6. Back To Top    #6

hmmmmm, TMQ...not sure how to take that one.... smart alec? me?

lol

As Mom said, motors will typically have a high limit temperature cut off sensor that shuts down the motor if it overheats. Unfortunately, the temps in the pump pot will be much higher than the motor (as the motor has an internal fan to help it run cooler). That's why you get the damage in the pump before the motor.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

7. Back To Top    #7
    Thanks to all replies. I don't have any serious problem yet. I wanted to verify a pool repairman's answer. Someone initially told me that the pump would 'blow up' which really concerned me.