GFCI won't turn off?

akenis

May 12, 2008
SC
My spa has a 50A 220V GFCI made by Cutler-Hammer. A while back I tried to depower the spa from the GFCI by turning the lever to off.... and the spa kept working. The switch can be on or off or in the middle, and I still get 220V to the spa.

Doesn't sound like a safe situation to me. Any ideas for resetting the system, or should I just replace the GFCI?

Thanks

There are two possibilities, either you are moving the wrong breaker, or the breaker needs to be replaced right away.

Before replacing the breaker, make sure that there isn't a different breaker that controls the spa. It isn't always obvious which breaker is which, even when it seems like it is obvious. (Hopefully that makes sense.)

If that is the right breaker, then yes you need to replace it right away.

I was googling this problem and came up with this thread. I also have the EXACT same problem. Same GFCI box, hot tub won't turn off. When you say that the breaker needs to be replaced, do you mean the GFCI box... or do you actually mean the breaker that's a part of the breaker box that's inside? My breaker inside works perfectly... turns on and off the power when flipped. Just the box won't do anything. Thanks for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.