Does this finish look normal?

alex_a

Jan 12, 2016
Florida
Hello,

We've just completed a pool refinishing, and the resulting surface looks uneven in quite a few places. I do not recall the original finish being this way.

I'm attaching a few images (more in a follow up post) -- does this look normal to your eye?

Thanks!

DSC_5093.jpgDSC_5095.jpgDSC_5096.jpgDSC_5097.jpgDSC_5098.jpg

I would say they are not the best crew. Finish on the steps look good, wall guy did ok, floor guy gets a D.
Once it is filled, during a sunny day will you notice it, probably not.
All they could do now is diamond polish it to smooth the surface, but not sure they will.

Welcome to the forum!

Being honest, it isn't the best by any means, but it isn't the worst we've ever seen. Mine is less than perfect, so I sympathize with you, and understand the disappointment. You don't have many options unless you still owe the builder a lot unfortunately. If so, he might agree to re-do it, but it would be excpetionally unusual if he did. Perhaps you can negotiate down on the final installment to a point that would make things more satisfactory for you. It's likely just cosmetic, so not the worst thing, but I know it stings. Sorry you're coming here for this, but I hope you'll stick around and enjoy our forum.

I think it's well within the normal range of smoothness.

Thank you guys -- I only have the original finish to compare to and it was *much* smoother. The builder was prompt to collect the day after pool was filled, so not too many options here (could go through a credit card dispute, but if you say it's within range of normal, probably won't help much). My main concern is that it'd make keeping the surface clean harder, with all the additional "creases". Even now, while the builder is still maintaining the pool, there are discernible patterns, which look more like color variations during the day, and only visible as surface blemishes at night. I could accept the larger lines (such as visible in the first photo below), but the "drip" pattern by the step just looks dirty.

DSC_5102.jpgDSC_5104.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_5105.jpg
    DSC_5105.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 124
Pool lights on at night will magnify EVERY little wave, dip, and bump. I have seen this on my friend's pools, I expect something similar on mine. I am going to have a very long conversation with the plaster sub prior to it being done. It's a hand applied process, it will be flat but it's not going to be perfect. I have yet to see a pool that can pass the perfect test at night with the lights on.

You should see the bottom of my above ground pool. There was two guys working in the hot, summer sun smoothing and working the dirt to get it as smooth as smooth could be! It looked AWESOME! They put the liner in with MUCH care so as to not mess up the bottom.
We added water carefully letting it just flow in so as to keep the bottom smooth.

Well once it was full it looked great! Then night time came and the light was on............we could see every little thing. It was not bad and I was still happy as I SAW how hard they worked to get it smooth. It did look smooth in the daylight. It is just with the light at night time you can see the little dips and such.

SO it will be FUN to swim in and NO one else will notice it I promise you as they enjoy your pool with you!

Here is a link for you. Just know the PB holds the warranty card but it might help you care for your new plaster.

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.