Travertine Stone and calcium removal

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

While under construction of our pool, we went thru various problems w the pool builder on issues where our travertine coping was damaged. Well, this is a travertine stone and Calcium issue that I resolved.

The waterline for the pool and spa is a 6" travertine stone. When the normal water-line of the spa that also is a spillover into pool went 2-3" below it's full spillover level, I noticed a solid white line after the stone dried. This is a calcium line where the water stays all the time.

So, since I cannot use acid or other abrasive chemicals, I bought some 3M P220 wet/dry sandpaper and after wetting the stone, I was able to sand away the calcium line. I then wiped it well w a wet cotton cloth, then wiped it w a dry cotton cloth - both times w good pressure.

I let the sun dry all the tiles [approximately 25.5 ft] and then applied the Aqua Mix's Enrich & Seal and the stone was enhanced w a little deeper color, but looked great. I did that Monday, then applied another coat today and will let it dry/cure until Wed evening, then turn on the main pump and get her flowing again. Right now I am circulating the water in the pool w two scuppers & scupper pump. The FC was about 8-9 and pH around 7.3 before I started all this, so I should be good w out any major circulation in the spa.

The next thing I will handle in a week or two is the tile/travertine that involves the spillover side...that's going to be a lot of wet-sanding, but the sealer I am using, and adding two coats, will last 3-5 yrs. I'll keep you posted - tstex

For anyone watching, Travertine is not a great product for in water use. I is like a sponge and saturates. It is also very susceptible to chemicals. If it is salt, even worse idea.

Tstx: You can have issues sealing the front of that tile. Water will still soak into and behind the sealer. This can make a mess. Only time will tell now.
A wet stone polisher works way better then the wet dry paper. Pads are cheap, big thing is the slower speeds they work at. Takes more off quicker.
You can pick up a cheap one for $150.00

For anyone watching, Travertine is not a great product for in water use. I is like a sponge and saturates. It is also very susceptible to chemicals. If it is salt, even worse idea.

Tstx: You can have issues sealing the front of that tile. Water will still soak into and behind the sealer. This can make a mess. Only time will tell now.
A wet stone polisher works way better then the wet dry paper. Pads are cheap, big thing is the slower speeds they work at. Takes more off quicker.
You can pick up a cheap one for $150.00
Does the sander have to be a variable speed sander to make this work? We have just regular tile without the shine and it has bumps and valleys.( nit sure what us called. I’m have a pool for 25 years and just had it redone in 2014, we’ve never had calcium lines Until this year. This year was the worst. Any help from anyone that has had this problems with calcium lines, please let me know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.