2 speed wiring help

Jul 26, 2013
Can someone help give me some details on how to wire a Hayward SP32152EE? It came with no wiring schematic and after a fair amount of googling I thought I had it figured out but I am still having a problem with the low speed side. It is replacing a single speed motor so I wired it like shown in the attached pic using a dpdt switch so I could manually switch between high and low speed until I decide on upgrading my controller. Everything works great when the switch is set for high speed but if turn off the power at the timer, flip the switch to what should be low speed, and then turn the timer back on it immediately pops the breaker. From what I could find on the internet it sounded like L2 was common to both circuits and switching the other leg of the 240V connection between L1 and A would control high vs low speed. Am I missing something?

Another thing I thought was interesting was that the L1 and L2 terminals on the motor had the typical spade connector setup but there was nothing on the A terminal. I had to thread a screw into it and loop the wire around and then tighten down the screw. I just thought it was weird that the A terminal didn’t have a connector pre-installed like the others.

Your diagram looks correct to me. I'm a little worried about what you had to do to terminal A. Are you sure this is a two speed motor? There should be a diagram on the motor like this .. 2 speed.jpg

If you can, post a pic of the terminal connection area and/or the motor name plate.

Jim R.

I am starting to think you are correct and the dealer who sold me the pump sent me the wrong unit and this is a one speed pump. The diagram does show an A but it isn't labeled as anything. My order receipt shows that I purchased a Hayward SP32152EE. That last 2 in the product name does indicate that it is supposed to be a 2 speed motor correct?

Yup, I was anxious to get it put in so I didn't even notice it was the wrong one until I got everything hooked. Sure enough though looking at the box it came in it says SP3215EE instead of SP32152EE like I ordered. The good news is I called the store and it looks like they are going to send me the correct one so it should all work out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.