Resurfacing options for climates with ice/freezing?

Apr 23, 2009
Hello. I am new to this forum. I have a concrete/fiberglass inground pool that is 17 years old. The bottom "bowl" is concrete with a thin layer of fiberglass. The sides were done with rebar and fiberglass walls; this pool was custom built on site. The pool finish has peeled 3 times. The last time it was repainted we had it totally sandblasted down to bare fiberglass, some fiberglass patching done here and there; it was professionally done by my original builder who has 30+ years of experience ................. so I am assuming it was properly prepped. They then repainted with a paint that I was told was "extremely expensive .............. they use it on yachts". (All of this was done at the builders expense except the water, so he was not doing all of this to make money off of me). Anyway I think the paint was an epoxy, but I am not certain. At any rate, it began peeling again after that total re-surfacing in only 2 years. It is now 4 years since the peeling began the 3rd time, and I almost hate to open the pool this year. Instead of something to be happy with / proud of, my pool has been very disappointing to me in the past 5-6 years.

What do the collective pool experts see as my options? I live in central PA, so we get lots of ice and freezing. I would LOVE one of those pebble tech pools, but you cannot have this in climates where it freezes .............. right?

I am considering a vinyl liner. I have a golden retriever who LOVES to swim (he is one of the reasons I have not backfilled the pool in!) and I want to make sure he does not tear a liner if I get one. Any recommendations on the thickness/mil I would need to protect against his toenails!? I have pretty much written off the idea of painting because I have had years of disappointment with repaints, and can't take more.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bonnie

Welcome to TFP!

Pebble Tec is possible in freezing climates, though it can't be applied over fiberglass. You would need to do some major work to convert to Pebble Tec. A vinyl liner would be much simpler, just mount the track to hold the top edge and get a liner made to fit the pool.

Any vinyl liner will be at some risk from dog claws. If you get a suitable pet ramp and train the dog to use it there wouldn't normally be any serious problems. Many vinyl pool owners have dogs and only a few of them have damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.