Recommend Pentair Intelliflo 3hp OR Superflo 1.5hp for 1.5" Pipe? Cartridge Filter?

Recommend Pentair Intelliflo 3hp OR Superflo 1.5hp for 1.5" Pipe? Cartridge Filter?

I am a first-time new pool owner and need to purchase and install new pool equipment and looking for recommendations on which variable speed pump and cartridge filter that are a good fit for the pool. I am looking to upgrade the existing equipment for energy savings and simplifying the operation/maintenance of the pool.

The pool is 30+ years old, estimated 28,000 gallons, has 1.5" piping, still has all the old 25+ year old equipment that includes a single-speed 1hp (1.65 service factor) pump, cartridge filter 156 sq ft, minimax 100 heater, etc.

Pump Question
I am looking at purchasing one of the the following pumps:
1. Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump, 3 Horsepower
2. Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump, 1-1/2 Horsepower

- Given the 1.5" pipes and 30+ years for the pool, is there any risk with installing the Pentair Intelliflo 3 horsepower pump and potentially bursting/damaging the 1.5" pipes given too much power if (mistakenly) run at the maximum level (this was mentioned by one pool person I asked recently)?
- Given the existing pool configuration, are there any other considerations to think about between selecting the Pentair Intelliflo 3hp vs the Pentair Superflo 1.5hp?
- What would you ultimately recommend as the right fit for the pool to save on energy and best fit for this pool?

Cartridge Filter Question
I am looking at purchasing the following cartridge filter:
1. Pentair 160332 Clean & Clear Plus Fiberglass Reinforced Polypropylene Tank Cartridge Pool Filter, 520 Square Feet, 150 GPM

- From my conversations with pool owners and pool professionals, everyone has indicated to go with the largest cartridge filter possible and to go with Pentair where possible for the filter and pump.
- Does Pentair offer any other larger residential cartridge filter that I should possibly consider?
- Given the existing pool configuration, are there any other considerations to think about in selecting the cartridge filter?
- What would you ultimately recommend as the right fit for the pool given the info provided thus far?

Thank you in advance for your help and insight.

Re: Recommend Pentair Intelliflo 3hp OR Superflo 1.5hp for 1.5" Pipe? Cartridge Filt

First, welcome to the forum!

The Superflo should fit your needs just fine. About the only thing significant an Intelliflo has over the SuperFlo, besides higher flow rates, is more programmable speeds but given your setup, I see no need for that. You might as well save some money.

As for the cartridge, with your size pool and location, you really shouldn't "need" more than a ~400 sq-ft filter. Having a larger filter won't hurt anything but it won't give much of an advantage either. With your size pool, you should only need to clean a 400 sq-ft filter once per year and that is the primary reason for getting a larger filter. I have a 425 sq-ft filter and clean it only once per year but I could go multiple years without cleaning because I barely have any PSI rise at all when cleaning.

Also, with a VS, you might want to consider adding surge protection to the power lines. VS drives are prone to failure with power surges of any type.

Re: Recommend Pentair Intelliflo 3hp OR Superflo 1.5hp for 1.5" Pipe? Cartridge Filt

I don't understand why you want a higher 3 HP pump when you currently have a 1 HP pump.

I received a couple onsite quotes from pool service providers and they recommended the Pentair Intelliflo 3hp variable speed pump knowing the existing pump was 1hp (1.65 service factor) and 1.5" pipes. One of the service providers after I re-asked the question about the 1.5" pipes then suggested going with the Pentair Superflo 1.5hp to avoid the risk of mistakenly running the Pentair Intelliflo 3hp at full strength and bursting/damaging the 1.5" pipes which is a far more costly issue. Given this back and forth with the pool service providers and being a first-time pool owner, it is getting confusing on what is the straightforward better/best fit for the pool for the pump.

Trust mas985.....it's that simple. He has been our pump and filter expert for many years and his advice is always dead solid. You will not approach any bursting pressure with either pump. The 1.5 is perfectly suited to your needs (as would be a 1.5 HP 2-speed).

Save the money for something else.....bigger is not always better.

First, welcome to the forum!

The Superflo should fit your needs just fine. About the only thing significant an Intelliflo has over the SuperFlo, besides higher flow rates, is more programmable speeds but given your setup, I see no need for that. You might as well save some money.

As for the cartridge, with your size pool and location, you really shouldn't "need" more than a ~400 sq-ft filter. Having a larger filter won't hurt anything but it won't give much of an advantage either. With your size pool, you should only need to clean a 400 sq-ft filter once per year and that is the primary reason for getting a larger filter. I have a 425 sq-ft filter and clean it only once per year but I could go multiple years without cleaning because I barely have any PSI rise at all when cleaning.

Also, with a VS, you might want to consider adding surge protection to the power lines. VS drives are prone to failure with power surges of any type.

mas985 - Thank you and it's good to be a part of the forum. I appreciate the insight and guidance that you provided between the Pentair Intelliflo/Superflo and on the cartridge filter. It was very helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

Trust mas985.....it's that simple. He has been our pump and filter expert for many years and his advice is always dead solid. You will not approach any bursting pressure with either pump. The 1.5 is perfectly suited to your needs (as would be a 1.5 HP 2-speed).

Save the money for something else.....bigger is not always better.

duraleigh - Thank you for your input and added perspective.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.