Intelliflo salt cell - powers off in afternoon?

MBison

May 25, 2015
jacksonville, Florida
Wasn't sure where to post this and since I'm kind of a pool newb I figured here.

I have an intelliflo salt cell and noticed that it powers off sometime in the afternoon. It turns on in the morning when the pump turns on, all green lights etc but at some point it powers off with no lights. I googled and it seemed to indicate that the intelliflo powers down if the water is cold to protect the cell life. Water is about 59/60 degrees.

But I recall last winter that when the water was cold a red light would come on indicating low water temp.

Again just wondering if this is normal. I don't normally look at it that often but just happened to notice it was powered off. And it turns on when the pump turns on.

Anything to be concerned about?

Thanks!

It will stop making chlorine when the water is cold but the lights will stay lit. If all the lights are off then that means there is no power to the cell. It is likely wired in to the pump time or a timer of its own and the timer is cutting power to the cell.

Well I did get a new variable speed pump recently and it's set for pool mode until 12:30pm but then aux 3 mode for 12:30-4:30 and that's a higher Rpm for the cleaner

But I've seen the intelliflo on after 12:30pm, it doesn't power off right then. Sometime after that.

Is that issue connected somehow though?

I really appreciate your help!

Based on your description it sounds like Pool mode ends at 12:30pm and then AUX3 turns on from 12:30-4:30. The IntelliChlor will only run when the POOL/SPA circuit is activated. Any other circuit set to run the pump will not activate the IntelliChlor.

If you have an EasyTouch panel, then scroll through the SCHEDULE menu and write down all of the schedules you find. Then report back here. Also, if you go to the PUMP menu under SETTINGS you can determine what pump speeds are set for each circuit. Typically, PUMP1 is your IntelliFlo VS pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Yeah that must be what's going on. I just had the variable speed pump put in a few weeks ago and the tech adjusted the schedule.

Schedule 1 is 8:00-12:30 on POOL

Schedule 2 is 12:30-4:30 on CLEANER

That's all. So it should be as you suspect?

The salt cell doesn't seem to turn off right at 12:30 though I haven't watched it intently. Is there any reason why it would turn off later than 12:30 even though it's now on CLEANER?

Is it a big deal if the salt cell is off for that period of time?

I was gonna call the tech tomorrow just trying to understand what's going on. Thanks!!

True but I'm in Florida so when it gets to summer and the pool is 85, then I assume I need to fix the fact it is switching off for half the day, right? Heh

I see you're new. Question - do you have one of the Recommended Test Kits? That will be the determining factor as to whether or not you have a successful pool season. Consistent, regular water testing is what tells you what to do. So, even now, you should be getting into the habit of regularly testing your water so you know exactly when you should change your pool settings.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Matt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I have a pool service once a week, I'm just trying to understand the salt cell power off thing :)

Understood.

Well, have a look around our Pool School. We are a DIY pool care forum and you'll find very few members need to or want to use a pool service as the techniques we teach free pool owners from the costs associated with pool service companies and bad pool store advice. Our forums are filled with story after story of pool owners who have taken charge of their own pool care and have turned green/black swamps back into crystal clear blue water pools even when pool companies and pool stores all gave up and told them to just dump the water and start over again. Our members saves hundreds of dollars per season by not being sold all the unnecessary chemicals you find lining the shelves of pool stores nor do we pay thousands of dollars per year for pricey pool service. Most here will tell you that they spend less than 10 mins per day caring for their pools and, perhaps, 30mins or so one day per weekend doing "pool chores" (testing, vacuuming, etc). You will not find better pool advice anywhere on the internet or out in the real world!

Thanks for stopping in and I hope you will seriously look around and see what it is we do for thousands of new pool owners every season that come here asking for help.

Best wishes,

Matt

So then the next question for you knowledgable folk would be how can I set my automation up so its not turning off the salt cell?

so can I not have multiple schedules? It's kinda weird since all of these things are made by the same company.

Do I have to just have a single schedule on POOL and not be able to use the variable speed? Cause I assume I can't set up two schedules on POOL? One from 8-12:30 and the second from 12:30-4:30? Both on POOL? Or can I?

So confused :p

It would be helpful if you could update your signature with your pool equipment list.

What type (make and model) automation panel do you have?

Do you have a remote that allows you to program the panel or do you have to go to the equipment pad?

I would also suggest you download a copy of the manufacturers manuals for the automation system you have as most have them posted online on their websites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.