autocover use

jmlodin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Our pool builder told us to keep our auto-cover off for at least 2 hours every day. I am curious what the disadvantages are to keeping the cover on in relation to the PH, TA, FC etc.? Our pool gets full sun for about 7-8 hours a day, so I am guessing that would help keep the chlorine consumption down if the pool is covered when not in use.

Sunlight helps breakdown CC's, so that might have something to do with his recommendation. He made it but didn't explain why? :rant:

Is it a mesh-type cover? Does the air/rain flow thru?

I think there is something about air-tight covers that don't allow outgassing and can cause PH to drop, but I'm not 100% on that or if it would apply to your situation.

I keep my solar cover on when not in use...never had any issues with it. :)

Pools need sunlight and they need to breathe :) There are various chemical reactions that take place as part of chlorine breaking down contaminates that require sunlight and gas exchange at the surface of the pool. If you leave the pool covered for too long the CC level will often go up and some of the chemistry can get a little out of balance. I generally tell people to leave it open something like four hours a week with sunlight, rather than two hours a day, but it is the same idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.