Is this a check valve?

rhythm

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2008
Lake Forest, CA
Hello, in addition to the circular Jandy check valve that we have in our plumbing, there is another see-thru component that now leaks (sprays, actually) water when I backwash the filter. I have attached a picture. Is this another check valve? To fix, can I loosen up the barrel nuts and take this thing off and replace it without too much trouble?

Thank you,
Greg

Attachments

• valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 57
I looks to me like someone rigged up a sight glass on your waste line. There would not be a need for a check valve on a waste line since the only time it is on is when you are backwashing the filter. Unless you are backwashing into another pool there is no source of water to be siphoned up through the waste line when it is off.

I think you can just remove the cracked piece and re-connect the waste line and it should be fine.

It's a Hayward in-line sight glass. They make a 2" model and a 1.5" model.

It looks like the 1.5" model (part SP1072S). The 1.5" model has 3 bolts.

The 2" model is part number SP1074S. The 2" model has 4 bolts.

The glass part number is SPX0072D for both. However, it would be better to get the whole part for a few dollars more so that you get the bolts and gaskets, too.

The end pieces are glued. If you remove the bolts, you can remove the glass (I think that it's actually acrylic) and replace it.

Thank you very much! I didn't think there would be any point to a check valve there, but I wasn't sure what else it could be. I wasn't aware components were installed for sight purposes only. I have no idea what happened to make this thing fail, but now I know what to do with it. Thanks again for the helpful information!

Greg

The reason is so that you can observe the waste water while backwashing to see how dirty the water is and to know when the backwash is complete.

It can also be helpful in checking for leaks in a hard plumbed waste line.

The crack in the glass might be from freeze damage.

That makes perfect sense, checking out the waste water while backwashing. My backwash line drains into a sewer cleanout on the side of the house, and I can see the water gushing out of the pipe down into a manifold that was added to the cleanout. So I've always observed the waste water there and didn't even think about observing it using the sight glass.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.