The Pool I Never Wanted

Jan 9, 2016
Conroe, TX
Recently retired, never had a pool, didn't want a pool, but...

Wife and I bought our retirement home last month that we REALLY liked and on beautiful 3/4 acre lot. The price was right even with a great looking pool, so now I have a pool to maintain that I never really wanted. Looking so forward to having more to do in my retirement. :rolleyes:

So I'm here because I know nothing about pools but need to... quickly, before it gets out of control.

Expect many really dumb questions.

I SO understand where you are coming from! I did NOT want a pool. We did not look at houses with pools at all BUT this was the purrfect house and property BUT it had a pool :( I know LOVE the pool! After I found TFP it is a snap!

We have you covered!

Start a thread in "just getting started" to ask all of your questions. Keeping most of your questions in one thread will help us all help you!

Hugs!

Kim

Before we get too far down this road, just tell me you (or someone) is putting chlorine in the pool on a regular basis.

Well.. who knows?

We bought this house and closed on it right at Christmas a couple of weeks ago.
The owner "seemed" to be taking good care of it since the water was clean and clear, and I saw that he did have some chlorine tabs in it (but in the skimmer which I quickly found out was something not to do).
I took a sample to Leslies where I was told something about there being enough chlorine, but maybe not, because some other value was too high. But he said to leave it for now and just watch it.
Fast forward a couple of weeks (to just last week) and I took another sample in and the numbers were the same so he said to not leave chlorine in it for a couple of days.

Anyway, it's a work in progress, and I at least bought a floater for the chlorine instead of using the skimmer. The previous owner had just replaced the main pump, and I'm told that his putting chlorine directly in the skimmer was probably the reason why.

I just ordered the TFT100 test kit so I can keep an eye on things myself as I continue to learn the chemistry of things, but the pool does appear to be not terribly out of spec for now.

I guess I should include a pic of the pool so people can see what I'm working with. It's a 14,000 gal. pool about 5' deep overall.

Attachments

• PoolWeb.jpg
    PoolWeb.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 57
Good job on ordering the TF-100. Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. So, just remember - mixing pool store advice/testing with TFP methods is just another recipe for disaster.

I would rather see too much chlorine than too little. It's easy to let the chlorine level drop back down to where it should be when you get your kit. it's hard to clean up a full blown algae bloom.

I know some of this has been said before, but how much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support