newbie here, pool filter acid soak question

Welcome to the forum ! :wave:

What are you using to chlorinate your pool ?
There is a section in our pool school about cleaning filters. I am not sue about the acid thing but someone who knows should be along shortly to offer advice.
It would help if you could post a full set of test results as well as add you equipment specs (pool size, type, filter etc) to your signatue would be helpful others are giving you advice about your particular situation.

Hi and Welcome. :wave:

We were all noobs once... :wink:

As for your sig, go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

Check out the pool calculator, it may help you figure out your gallonage.

I'm not sure about the DE filter either....but here is an article on caring for DE filters.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly to answer that specifically.

Welcome to TFP!!

I can certainly empathize with not having enough time :) You're doing the BEST thing by coming here to learn how to properly care for your pool!

I'd say to wait to do a full chemical cleaning of the filter's grids until the pool is clean and algae free. (I wrote the article that FPM linked [thanks Ann! for saving me the 3 minutes it'd take to link that :mrgreen: ])

The broken 'skeleton" in the grids isn't necessarily a reason to replace them, as long as the fabric on them isn't ripped nor torn, they will still do their job - make sure that 'stuff' isn't bypassing the filter and coming out through the returns.

Use what you have as it is for this major cleaning and then decide if you need to replace any grids after doing the proper acidwash (* including the degreasing again)

It would really help if you could post your water chemistry numbers :goodjob:

Something you want to read tonight is turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparking-oasis-t4147.html . It will really help on what you should concentrate on for now :-D (there goes the 3 min. Ann saved me :lol: )

We'll be here for you and stick with you as you tackle this :!:

I just want to emphasize one point waste made in passing. Before acid washing you always need to do a soak in automatic dishwashing detergent to remove any oils. Most of the time, the detergent cleans things up just fine and there is no need for an acid treatment. Use one cup of automatic dishwashing detergent for every five gallons of water, soak overnight and then rinse throughly with plain water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Glad you got the filter working.

Ok, did you read the article on defeating algae that Waste posted above? Everything you need to know is there, follow it to the letter and you will clear this up. If your FC is 0 and your TC is 1 that means your CC is 1 and you have no chlorine. That's not "shocking" your pool. :wink:

Shocking is a process, not an event. You have to get the FC up to shock level, with CYA of 40 that is 15. You need to hold it there, with frequent additions of chlorine, until the FC holds overnight, or you lose less than 1ppm of FC, your CC is .5 or less, and your water is clear. Then you are done shocking. Letting the FC drop to 0 or even 2 is not going to clear your pool. :mrgreen:

Hope this makes sense? :wink:

By the way....before you shock your pool, you are using liquid chlorine right? NO MORE CAL-Hypo, if that has been used in the past. Your CH is way off the chart.

IMPORTANT: Before you shock again, use Muratic Acid to lower your PH to 7.4. Do it asap. Let it circulate for an hour and test again. Repeat if necessary. After your PH is lower, then you can shock again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.