newbie here, pool filter acid soak question

Hi guys
    ~40K gallons
    IG, PLaster pool
    De filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: newbie here, pool filter acid soak question

Welcome to the forum !

What are you using to chlorinate your pool ?
    There is a section in our pool school about cleaning filters. I am not sue about the acid thing but someone who knows should be along shortly to offer advice.
    It would help if you could post a full set of test results as well as add you equipment specs (pool size, type, filter etc) to your signatue would be helpful others are giving you advice about your particular situation.
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks
    ~40K gallons
    IG, PLaster pool
    De filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi and Welcome.

We were all noobs once...

As for your sig, go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

Check out the pool calculator, it may help you figure out your gallonage.

I'm not sure about the DE filter either....but here is an article on caring for DE filters.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly to answer that specifically.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!!

I can certainly empathize with not having enough time You're doing the BEST thing by coming here to learn how to properly care for your pool!

I'd say to wait to do a full chemical cleaning of the filter's grids until the pool is clean and algae free. (I wrote the article that FPM linked [thanks Ann! for saving me the 3 minutes it'd take to link that ])

The broken 'skeleton" in the grids isn't necessarily a reason to replace them, as long as the fabric on them isn't ripped nor torn, they will still do their job - make sure that 'stuff' isn't bypassing the filter and coming out through the returns.

Use what you have as it is for this major cleaning and then decide if you need to replace any grids after doing the proper acidwash (* including the degreasing again)

It would really help if you could post your water chemistry numbers

Something you want to read tonight is turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparking-oasis-t4147.html . It will really help on what you should concentrate on for now (there goes the 3 min. Ann saved me )

We'll be here for you and stick with you as you tackle this
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

I just want to emphasize one point waste made in passing. Before acid washing you always need to do a soak in automatic dishwashing detergent to remove any oils. Most of the time, the detergent cleans things up just fine and there is no need for an acid treatment. Use one cup of automatic dishwashing detergent for every five gallons of water, soak overnight and then rinse throughly with plain water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks
    ~40K gallons
    IG, PLaster pool
    De filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

I got
    ~40K gallons
    IG, PLaster pool
    De filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

What is your stabilizer level? It can't possibly be 750. Also, we tend to call stabilizer CYA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Maybe
    ~40K gallons
    IG, PLaster pool
    De filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

The test.

pH - 7.8
    TA - Total Alkalinity = 180
    FC - Free Chlorine = 0
    TC - Total Chlorine = 1
    CH - Calcium Hardness 750
    CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer) = 40
    ~40K gallons
    IG, PLaster pool
    De filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

Glad you got the filter working.

Ok, did you read the article on defeating algae that Waste posted above? Everything you need to know is there, follow it to the letter and you will clear this up. If your FC is 0 and your TC is 1 that means your CC is 1 and you have no chlorine. That's not "shocking" your pool.

Shocking is a process, not an event. You have to get the FC up to shock level, with CYA of 40 that is 15. You need to hold it there, with frequent additions of chlorine, until the FC holds overnight, or you lose less than 1ppm of FC, your CC is .5 or less, and your water is clear. Then you are done shocking. Letting the FC drop to 0 or even 2 is not going to clear your pool.

Hope this makes sense?

By the way....before you shock your pool, you are using liquid chlorine right? NO MORE CAL-Hypo, if that has been used in the past. Your CH is way off the chart.

IMPORTANT: Before you shock again, use Muratic Acid to lower your PH to 7.4. Do it asap. Let it circulate for an hour and test again. Repeat if necessary. After your PH is lower, then you can shock again.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

13. Back To Top    #13

Hi ya!
    ~40K gallons
    IG, PLaster pool
    De filter.