CCL vs TF-100 Results

Hi All,

This post will be particularly relevant to any Aussie readers,

My TF-100 kit arrived yesterday, which I had ordered through Australia Post's "ShopMate" Freight Forwarding service. In terms of shipping it cost roughly $50 in total, ShopMate shipping costs depend on weight.
I ordered the TF-100 Kit + Speedstir + Taylor Salt Test

I had ordered it prior to Christmas, and with the various public holidays etc during this period it did take a while to get here, so I cant really comment on the actual speed, but it did have a fast turn around from the initial shipping, to the forwarding on.

Prior to ordering the TF-100 I had been using the Australian Company Clearchoicelabs full test kit, which has been working great and the earlier identified an issue with their pH test, they have rectified this and sent me a free one just this week.

Therefore I thought it would be interesting to compare the 2 kits , particularly for us Aussies who find it difficult to obtain reliable kits in Australia and usually have to incur huge shipping costs and get them shipped from overseas.

Test done using the same pool water sample

ClearChoiceLabs ---- TF-100

FC: 8 ---- 7.5

CC: <0.5---- <0.5

pH: 7.6---- 7.5

TA: 90---- 80

CH: 240---- 300

CYA: 50---- 50

Salt: 5800 (WaterMaid)---- 4600 (Taylor's)

As seen the tests are fairly comparable with the exception of the CH, Which I even retested on both and still got the same result, so I can't explain this one. The Taylor drop salt test would appear to be more reliable than the magicmaid hydrometer (both independent from CCL & TF anyway)

I think this could provide some reassurance to those who have used the CCL kit that it is a viable option for Aussies wanting to get a reliable kit quickly and without the extra shipping costs.

Feedback welcome

Well, at least the critical tests (FC/CC, CYA) agree to within the margin of error. pH I would expect to be a little variable but being within 0.2 pH units is way more than good enough for pool water chemistry. TA is within the margin of error too. The hydrometer, sadly, is just a toy - it's not temperature compensated and they are notoriously hard to get an accurate result from. The good news is that it doesn't really matter what your exact salt level is as long as you are in the ball park and you make the SWG happy.

As for CH, it's hard to know. Both providers use the same chemistry (Eriochrome black indicator with EDTA titrant and a calcium buffering agent for Mg removal). There could be subtle differences in the formulation of the dye for removal of metal interferences. The good news is, for what you need it for, the results are good enough.

Glad to hear you guys (and gals) down under have a good source of test chemicals....now if only you could help out your Canadians friends so that they could get some good test kits at a decent price, that would be great!!

That is interesting stuff! I would love for you to run them one more time to confirm (if you are comfy using the reagents).

How long did the sample sit before doing the second FC/CC test? Those tests are more time sensitive. If you do run a comparison test again, maybe you could do the FC/CC tests first.

Those results look good to me. :D

Nice to see the comparisom between the hydrometer and the Talor salt test. I too think the hydrometer is a bit of a toy although the CCL one is at least calibrated at 25degC, mine is an older version calibrated at 20degC which makes it a bit useless. The calibration temp should be engraved on the bottom. For the price though I think CCL would be better off offering a cheap half decent TDS meter with some accurate calibtation fluid. If I were using a CCL hydrometer I would first adjust the sample temp to 25degC to avoid the temperature compensation issue.

Does the CCL total pool testing kit come with a box to keep it all together or is it a collection of individual kits?

Steve.

Very interesting results Hawk and thanks for providing your data- I am only using their FAS DPD titrating regent for FC but am very happy with it despite the fact that the drops don't always come out cleanly unlike the the Taylor version which is much more consistent. But at least it is 'affordably accessible' and does the job.

It would be good to see you run another battery of tests as a comparison.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those results look good to me. :D

Does the CCL total pool testing kit come with a box to keep it all together or is it a collection of individual kits?

Steve.

I have the Clear Choice kit and it's OK in it's cardboard box, with instructions handy on the lid. I did see a simple plastic tool box in Bunnings that I thought about getting for about $4 just for something more durable

There was a thread where several people showed how they store their test stuff.

The ones I like the best were tackle box ones. Every thing had its own spot.

I can't find the thread right now but if I find it I will post a link.

Kim

There was a thread where several people showed how they store their test stuff.

The ones I like the best were tackle box ones. Every thing had its own spot.

I can't find the thread right now but if I find it I will post a link.

Kim

TF-100 Storage Box

Thanks for posting these results. I've recently bought the CCL kit and this is good reassurance.

I found that the dropper bottles don't always provide a good clean drop, more of a splutter. If this happens, does that mean the test is now ruined or just don't count that as a drop?

On another slightly unrelated note, the tfp recommended levels page doesn't have a colomn for concrete/ pebble create finish. Is this the same as plaster finish?

Thanks for posting these results. I've recently bought the CCL kit and this is good reassurance.

I found that the dropper bottles don't always provide a good clean drop, more of a splutter. If this happens, does that mean the test is now ruined or just don't count that as a drop?

On another slightly unrelated note, the tfp recommended levels page doesn't have a colomn for concrete/ pebble create finish. Is this the same as plaster finish?

Yup, it's plaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Is it all of the bottles or just one? I would try wiping the bottle with a damp towel and see if that helps. IF it does it on every drop I would look to see if there is a burr of some sort in the hole.

Kim

It depends a bit on what reagent it is. If it's a buffering reagent for Mg removal it wouldn't make much difference but may be a bit more important if it's a titration reagent and you get a lot of splattering. Having used many kits over the years the best advise I can offer is to go slow, squeeze slow, count carefully, invert the bottle slowly and hold at a slight angle, sometimes wiping or dabbing the end of the inverted bottle with piece of paper towel can help. If you do get splatter and most to all goes in it would probably be ok but if every drop is a splatter I would question my results. Next time you get splatter run the test again to compare results - that way your testing or verifying you unique technique to yourself. I would like to someone else's view on this.

Treat a pebble create / concrete as plaster which I guess is plaster on concrete. The only difference is that for plaster, concrete, or pebble create we need to raise the calcium so the bulk water doesn't leach calcium or magnesium (+ ions) from the concrete.

Getting slightly off topic but, if anyone is interested, and if Taylor or CCL get into product development, get or have a look at the Salifet KK/ALK kit for marine aquariums. That is probably the best kit I've ever used, it provides a mini burette for titration.

Splutter? As in getting air into the bottle. I think there is something wrong with your technique.

Hold the bottle almost vertical and slowly squeeze until a drop literally FALLS of the dropper tip.....don't squirt it.

Done properly, that dropper tip and reagent can't "splutter".

I was finding with the FC test this happened from time to time, but as I have gained a little more experience (and I mean a little - daly testing for week!) it has improved. When it happened to me, I made a note of how many "half" drops there were and took a reading as if they were full drops and one as if they were half drops, assuming I was safely somewhere in that range and knowing I was doing a test agaiin the next day as practice. The last three tests have gone swimmingly ;-) no spluttery drops or two drops when I was expecting one but squeezed too hard.

This is clearly an issue with the design of the CCL FC titration bottle. I have done the FAS DPD test numerous times with both the Taylors and CCL versions and have experienced the splutter or dribble even though it seems intermittent. No such experience with the Taylor version. I will email CCL to give them the feedback which they always seem appreciative of. As mentioned I don't think it's a big deal but certainly a little annoying.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.