Dallas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
This has been more than annoying for me for the past month. So decided to go with a Raypak heater (as everybody here loves). I have a shed protecting my pool equipment (no big deal thing has a door and a 8 foot ceiling). I have tried to find this recommended 9 inch flue for the raypak to vent it out the ceiling but nobody has it, i can't find it, and I had 3 separate pool companies come back to me saying they can't do it. The 4th actually came back and said they could, but they could not find the 9 inch flue, and they themselves "apparently" contacted raypak regarding this with zero results...

....am I missing something here?

Regardless I am giving up on this dream of the raypak and am looking at the Jandy unless someone happens to have any guidance regarding venting this raypak through a ceiling.

(shrugs). I'm guessing so. Maybe my big headache here has solely been a name issue (why a 9 inch flue vs just calling it a stack).

This thread can be closed, chucking the raypak due to vent headache.

The size of the vent pipe isn't absolutely critical. I believe I responded in your last thread and mentioned going with either 8" or 10" B vent. The whole purpose to to have a sufficient size vent to allow the heated gases to naturally escape in their own convection column. Smaller vent pipe may inhibit this flow unless there is a blower installed as well (added expense and another potential fail point). Both of those vent sizes are far more common and much easier to obtain.

Don't get rid of the Raypak. They are great heaters. I think you are over complicating the issue just a little bit.

Your best bet for online sources would be a fireplace insert wholesaler. Check out efireplacestore.com or hearthsidedirect.com. Both stock 8" and 10" all day long.

*hears crickets*
I think he's gone...

Review

A flue is the closed vent pipe...

a draft hood or stack-top, is the open part that helps the gasses travel up and out, usually installed nearest the appliance.

You never want to make the flue or any part of the exhaust system smaller than the collar (the 9 inch part). Unless it is forced, like with a fan. You wouldn't want to trust a draft hood designed to effectively exhaust 9", to deal with 8". I won't tell you it wont work, but would you want to go to jail because of it? It may be in a well vented room, maybe not in a living space, but either way, you are liable for the install if anything happens. That's why i don't do venting. I can't afford the extra insurance! And i wont sell a heater in a room unless an HVAC guy is meeting me on the day of install to do the venting.

Raypak made the 9" collar probably knowing that it is an unpopular size, and that you would probably just go to a 10" making great flow through the flue, thus making them heroes.

Anyone know how the jet engine was invented?

I wasn't aware the exhaust was 9" on the heater. I've only vented the master temps and they require a 4"-8" adapter to connect to the B vent. Had I known the exhaust port was 9" on the Raypak, I never would have offered the advice of an 8" vent pipe

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.