Ozonator yes or no

Ozonators really only help if your spa has high bather loads and you need to oxidize a lot of bather waste. They can cut the amount of chlorine needed in half when oxidizing bather waste.

If your hot tub is not being used a lot or has low bather load (1 person or so per day), then the ozone will react with the chlorine and cause an FC demand.

If you are experiencing excessive chlorine demand, then try disconnecting it for a while to see what effect it has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

In a spa that is used regularly, an ozonator can have benefits, helping to oxidize some bather waste but with slower kill times than chlorine itself. In an infrequently used spa, it will slowly breakdown some of your FC whenever it runs. In a bromine spa, an ozonator can help oxidize bromide back into bromine so it is a better fit for bromine spas overall.

If you're using the spa often, I would leave the ozonator connected but try to set your pump to run after you've used it, but minimal run time when the spa is not in use to reduce the ozonator consuming some of your FC when bather waste is not present. Most ozonators run whenever the pump is running so that's the only way to control the ozonator run time. If you're only using the spa a couple times per week, I would disconnect the ozonator.

This also got me wondering, has anyone ever put a DIY or aftermarket switch on the ozonator power cable so that you could manually turn the ozonator on or off? Might be interesting... and difficult.

I read a bit of the manual that is likely for your spa. What you could do to limit run time of the pumps and thereby the ozonator, is to activate the Summer Timer feature. This turns off the pumps for an 8 hour period every day. From the manual:

Summer Timer
Your spa is equipped with a summer timer. The summer timer can be activated during hot summer months to maintain water temperature. Activating the summer timer
causes the heater to immediately shut down. The circulation pump will remain on for approximately 5 minutes pushing water through the heater to cool it down. Both
heater and circulation pump will then remain off for eight hours. The summer timer icon will be displayed on the main control panel and will remain displayed for as long
as the summer timer mode is on. The circulation pump and heater will automatically shut down for the same eight hours every day until the summer timer is deactivated.
It is recommended to activate the summer timer in the morning so that the spa is off during the hottest part of the day and so that the circulation pump will start up again
in the evening when you are ready to enjoy the spa.

I would try this, specifically enabling the timer at time when you won't likely be using the spa for 10-12 hours but not right after a soak, because that's when you need circulation the most. If you usually soak in the evening, turn on the Summer Timer early in the morning and see how it works out. Depending on outdoor temperatures, this may lead to cooler than desired temps by the evening, but I would try it to see how it works.

You should also be aware that most ozonators quit producing ozone even if the power light is still lit after a couple of years, some newer models are lasting longer, and a few even have indicator that show ozone is being produced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.