Pool System Identification

Jan 7, 2016
Hurst/Texas
New member, first post on TFP any assistance would greatly be appreciated.
I recently purchased a new home with a pool/spa combination. I have very little experience with pool equipment so I'm seeking assistance to identify what positions the Jandy valves should be in for regular use, spa only, draining, etc. None of the plumbing is labeled and although I had a pool in the past I cannot figure out the plumbing and settings on this set-up. I have attached a picture of the my plumbing set up.

Thank you,

David Galloway
In-Ground Plaster Pool with Elevated Spa (small water fall into pool)
Haywood Cartridge Filter, Platinum III Heater, Rainbow Tab Feeder
7 years old - 20,000 gallons - 16 x 23

Attachments

• Pool Plumming.jpg
    Pool Plumming.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 49
Welcome to TFP and congrats on the pool.

The valve right in front of the pump controls where the water comes from in to the pump, it is the suction side. One side should draw water from the spa and the other should draw from the pool. The handle faces away from the pipe that is currently closed. So, it is currently pulling water from the pipe on the right and the pipe on the left is closed.

The water returns are coming from the heater and going back to the pool/spa. My guess is that the left pipe goes to the spa because it doesn't go by the puck chlorinator. The little diagonal pipe probably feeds the waterfall. The valve on the right should control water going to the pool and waterfall. Currently the waterfall, small pipe, is shut off and all flow is going to the bigger pipe, pool. Turning the handle so it faces down should send water to both pipes. Handle up will be all flow to the smaller pipe.

Same theory for the left return valve. Handle facing right will be all flow to right pipe, pool. Handle facing left will be all flow to the left, spa. Handle facing back toward house will have water flow to both.

Generally, when using the spa you will want all suction coming from the spa and all return going to the spa. This is to keep the heat in the spa and not trying to heat the whole pool.

I can't really tell you based on the picture what goes where other than on your suction side (coming into the front of the pump), you have two sides. One likely is for the pool suction and the other for spa suction (if there is spa suction?). You have 3 return lines. I'm not sure why the tab chlorinator is installed where it is (only two of your return lines going to the right would receive chlorination when in use). The only way to know what line runs where is to isolate each valve and check the flows and suctions that result.

I can only tell you that all suction and all returns should function when the 3-way valves are oriented such that the handle points away from the side of the valve with no lines coming into it. Isolate the suction valve to one or the other and determine where your are getting suction and you are not. Label the valves accordingly. Then do the same with the returns.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.