JBW - New Pool Owner in Knoxville

JBW

Jan 7, 2016
Knoxville, TN
Hello everyone,

My wife and I just purchased our first house in Knoxville and it came with something I've always wanted (or at least hope so).....a pool! It's not the biggest pool, but it's mine :D

I'm totally ignorant when it comes to pools so I'm looking forward to learning a lot from each of you through new topics and old. The previous homeowner did a decent job of taking care of the pool, but I have a lot of renovations in mind for the pool area. Just to get me started, I had some pool professionals (I hope) come out this morning to shock my frog pond and blow out the lines & completely winterize it. I plan on having them out again in the Spring when I open it back up to perform a full service on everything, but after that, I'd like to be self-reliant (or rather TFP.com reliant) on everything.

Looking forward to learning lots!
Front Exterior 2.jpg
Pool.jpg

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Just throwing some shock in the pool before they closed it did nothing but waste chlorine. If it was green from algae, the chlorine was consumed within a couple of hours trying to oxidize the algae.

So, my first suggestion is to stop using the "professionals". Their only response it to sell you something. Usually what hey want to sell you is not what we would recommend.

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store.

Where do we start? Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" at the pool store would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you generally end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered and over the winter you have a homework assignment. Start with Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Does it have a cover on it? If not, use the warm days during the winter getting all the leaves and other junk you can out of the pool with your net.

I am hoping he was being silly when he called it a "frog pond" as he also said they had taken fairly good care of it. LOL

That house..........wow! It looks like a magazine house! SO pretty! LOVE the rock!

Like the others have said you need to get a test kit yestersday. THAT and TFP will be your pool's best friend.

Kim

Thanks for the information and kind words, everyone. There is already a test kit that the previous owner left, but I'll go ahead and purchase the TF100 like you recommend and poach from the other box as needed. I'll try to read as much as I can on the forum and get a signature together here soon. Looking forward to conversing with everyone.

Welcome to the forum. :wave: Good testing practices will tell you to pitch that old box. Expired, unreliable, etc. Your testing is going to be VERY important to you pool management so keep it precise.

Sounds good. Consider the old kit tossed.

I do have few questions to get me through the winter if you would oblige:
  • The pool isn't covered, but has been winterized. Do I continue to test and treat the water throughout the winter to keep a sparkling pool even though everything is shut down, or take lesser steps? It's currently a very cloudy, very bright blue.
  • In regards to covers, I'm wanting to get a solar cover to keep the water warmer in the spring and fall. Do you have recommendations for a particular cover and reel?
  • Could that same solar cover be used year around or do I need to get a winter cover? If so, which winter cover would you recommend.
  • Does anyone have a favorite chemical e-commerce site? I buy most things from Amazon, but haven't checked to see if they carry the same things.

Thanks!
BW

I test FC about once a week and add bleach as needed to keep FC around 10ppm. And I also test PH when FC is below 10.

I don't use a solar cover but everything I have seen here is to go with the cheapest and thinnest one you can find because they all last about the same amount of time and it is easier to handle the lighter covers.

I buy muriatic acid at Lowes and bleach at the grocery store. Here is a page on pool chemicals, what they are and how to use them. Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

You have to be able to move the water around if you add anything to it. A sub pump would work if you have the filter/pump closed

We buy most stuff from Target, Walmart, Lowes.

I get my chlorine in refillable jugs from Ace Hardware. Some pool stores carry liquid chlorine with refillable jugs. IF that is not convenient for you then store brand PLAIN bleach will work. NO smells or such...........just plain bleach. Make sure it lists the % on the jug and has a date code within 3 months.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support