Sta-Rite Pool Filter

Stanl

Apr 23, 2009
I have a Sta-Rite modular Media Filter. At start up, you are supposed to open the air release valve until a steady stream of water comes out. Although the air stops coming out, I cannot get a stead flow of water. In addition, the gauge reads 0 pressure. I have replaced the entire air release valve assembly and have double checked the installation of the filters and position of the bleed tube and filter, but the results are the same. Any suggestions?

Yes, the pump is fully primed and water is coming out of the returns with moderately good force. There is only a little air swirling around at the top of the skimmer basket when the pump is on. I replaced the pressure gauge, so that is not the problem.

I checked the pressure valve for teflon covering the hole, but that's not the problem. There is no bypass for the filter that I am aware of. The other problem is that fines are getting through the filter, but the manual states that this will occur for a short while with new filter cartridges. This is so frustrating.

Stanl said:
Yes, the pump is fully primed and water is coming out of the returns with moderately good force.

Does moderately good imply less force than usual? Even if you had the filters in upside down and backwards the tank should still be under pressure. If you have a valve after the filter, try closing it off a bit to cut off the flow and see if that makes the gauge register anything. That should also make the noise coming from the pump noticeably different. If not, you might have something going on with your pump. Check the strainer basket and impeller for debris.

This morning I pulled the pump off and cleared the impeller. There were a couple of berries stuck in it. It was completely cleared when I put it back together. This has resulting in improved flow and now I get a steady stream of water from the air release valve after all of the air bleeds out. Although the pressure gauge went up slightly from zero when I first started it, it is now at zero again. I have stopped and re-started the pump, released all of the air, and adjusted the valves, but I cannot get the gauge to read anything but zero. I guess that I will wait to see if the filter works OK this week. If it does, I'll just stop worrying about it.

I would stay with that issue until I got a decent filter pressure reading.....usually around 10-20 or so.

Proper psi is a great indicator your sytem is working correctly and will usually help you identify impending or existing problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.