Heater coming on automatically

Sep 13, 2015
Avondale, AZ
Hi all,

I just recently bought a house with a pool/spa. The heater was dead when I moved in and just had a new F400HDN installed. The pumps are set to run overnight between spillover for the majority of the time, and then spa mode for a short period thereafter.

I noticed this AM that the heater was heating the spa when the spa was on. I do NOT want this. Is there a way in the Aqua Logic board, it can be set that the heater ONLY turns on when explicitly told to do so, no exceptions? I only plan on using the spa a few times a week. I'm still trying to learn how all this stuff works, so I apologize if that's a dumb question.

Thanks very much in advance!

Thank you! If I set it to disabled, I will still be able to manually turn it on via the control board and/or the remote control?

If so, assuming I'm in the hot tub, and don't specifically turn it off, will it remember its last "on" setting and turn on again, once my system kicks on for auto-filtration in the middle of the night? Things like that aren't spelled out in the manual.

Thanks again!

Yes Hayward's documentation and menus are not user friendly. From what I recall, having this unit setup for the heater disabled, it will still allow you to turn it on when you want it on. It just won't come on automatically when the water temp is lower than a set point on the system.

Thanks. I just gave it a try (in the dark, lol), and no dice. It disables the ability to control the heater from the remote and from the control board. I guess I'd have to change the heater from BO and control it from there directly. Problem there, is the heater, and all other plumbing/controls, is way on the other side of the yard, hidden behind several bushes, etc. I'd have to squeeze through. Definitely not ideal. :(

There's got to be a better way. I still can't understand why it turned on in the middle of the night. Once before, during the day while I was tinkering, it did that. I turned on the spa pumps, and a few seconds later the heater kicked on. It was concerning, but I thought maybe I did it somehow. Apparently not.

Why not just adjust the setpoint temperature of the spa to a value Lowe than the water temperature? For example, set the spa temp to 40F.

In my Pentair system, it's takes clicking through a few sub menus to turn the heater off completely (of course I always retain control of the heater). So rather than turning it off as a heat source, I just simply lower the setpoint so it never goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

My system has a remote so I don't have to walk to the equipment pad. Can your system be upgraded with one? If so, it's an investment worth having especially if the equipment is hard to get to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

On the Hayward system you have, yes it would be a set temp on the outside unit and then you should be able to just turn it on/off via the remote. Which remote do you have?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes with this hand held remote, you have to set the temp on the outdoor control panel and then activate the heater via the remote with just a simple push of the on or off button. Does the heaters display show a "bo" on it? The heater has to be in the bypass mode(bo) in order for the control unit to correctly control it. So on the heater, you would set the temp to the highest temp, 104, and then put it on bypass mode. Now when you push the on button for heat, the outdoor controller gets the signal and tells the heater to come on. You have to leave the heater is either the pool or spa setting on it's control panel.. Just adjust the temp up to 104 and let the Aqualogic controller control the temp.

I'll look in another book I have on this control unit. You should be able to have the heater setup so it only comes on when you press the heater button. Certainly don't want it coming on all the time when the pool goes into spa mode.

You mentioned that you: "run overnight between spillover for the majority of the time, and then spa mode for a short period thereafter". Since your spa spills over into the pool, it would get plenty of circulation in pool mode and there really isn't a need to run the spa for a short time every day. IOW, just have only one program, filter runs in pool mode for X amount of hours each day. Then you can leave the thermostat turned up for the SPA mode and when you hit the spa button, heater will come on and heat to your setting.

Note: Having said that, there should still be a setting to disable the heater for the spa if you did want to run it (via programming) every day, for whatever reason.

I'll look in another book I have on this control unit. You should be able to have the heater setup so it only comes on when you press the heater button. Certainly don't want it coming on all the time when the pool goes into spa mode.
Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

You mentioned that you: "run overnight between spillover for the majority of the time, and then spa mode for a short period thereafter". Since your spa spills over into the pool, it would get plenty of circulation in pool mode and there really isn't a need to run the spa for a short time every day...
That was my thought as well. If I use *just* spillover mode for the auto filtering overnight, and the heater is only enabled for spa, then it should never turn on in spillover or pool without my request to do so, correct?

Yes, When the filter turns on in pool mode, you will get the spill over. That is normal, and is how the spa gets it's circulation. That is how most systems are plumbed now. It is so you don't need to run the spa on its own program (and be using more electricity).

Is there an automated valve on the piping for the popups? If so then you possibly can do this.
I have two automated valves. One for return, and one for feed. It seems that the popups are only on when the pool is on, but *not* when the spillover mode is on. Here's a pic of what I think all the valves do. This was between what guy who installed my heater told me, and my own tinkering found out. Does this help at all?

valves_zpsvia8cpg8.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.