frustration over PH

jlockw

Mar 27, 2009
Could someone please tell me how to keep the PH level more constant :cry: It seems like I need to add a quart of acid about every two or three days to keep the PH down. It should be @ about 7.6 right? Just did test with TF100 test kit

FC 2.5
CC .5
PH 7.8 (just put a quart in yesterday)
TA 100
CH 500 (or more, solution never turned blue- purple) Pool has some scale
CYA 45

Because you have an SWG, rising pH is a very common issue. The chemist gurus on this forum recommend you lower your TA to about 70ppm instead of 100. That should help lower your acid consumption and help your pH remain more stable.

Read how to lower TA in "Pool School"

Your calcium is troublesome. After you work on your pH and get it resolved, you should probably look at your options (there aren't many) to reduce your CH down to about 200-300

First, if your plaster is less than one year old, the rising PH is simply something you need to put up with until the plaster gets a little older.

Second, you should be able to dramatically reduce the amount of PH drift from sources other than fresh plaster by reducing your TA level. I would try reducing TA to around 60 and see how much that improves things.

Here's what Waterbear says about the tricky and complex CH test:

waterbear said:
add the first reagent, swirl for 20-30 seconds. add the indicator (second reagent) and swirl to mix well. add the titrant one drop at a time and swirl for 20-30 seconds between drops.

If you get a purple endpoint or 'floaties' in the sample add 6 drops of reagent 3 (the titrant) FIRST and swirl to mix then proceed with the procedure above. Be sure to include the first 6 drops you added in the final count of drops.

I'd recommend you give it a try.

waterbear said:
Three things I would suggest are dropping your pH to about 60 ppm,especially since your CH is so high (assuming your plaster is over a year old), bringing your CYA up to about 75-80 ppm, and adding borates to 50 ppm.
The following theads should help explain why you pH is rising and how to minimize it. Your TA and CYA levels are key factors with a SWG!

water-balance-tips-for-a-swg-t3663.html
so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html
how-to-lower-ta-t5341.html

Pretty sure Evan means drop your TA. :wink: :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.