Whisperflo Pump Problem

Jul 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
I have a Whisperflo pump and the o-ring is not sealing on the strainer basket. I have replaced the o-ring and still the same problem. The pump is pulling in a lot of air past the o-ring. Anybody out there know how to fix this? Thanks

Depending on how big the flaw is that is causing the air leak Silicone gasket lube might work it's roughly the consistency of Vaseline and won't damage the gasket. There are a few brands for pools or food grade used on draft beer systems is basically the same thing. Amazon is usually the most convenient and a bit less expensive than getting it in a store.

I too was getting a lot of air past my whisperflo pump and it was constantly losing prime. I took the lid off and looked in the leading inside edge of the pump as well as the outside just below the tab that holds the lid on. I found a hairline crack. I used mr sticky glue on both sides and it appears to be holding at least for now. I did try JB Weld but that didn't even hold 1 day.

How do you know that it's a bad O-ring?

Has the pump run dry recently?

Is the skimmer running dry?

Try turning the pump on and off a few times to see if you can see water squirting out when you turn the pump off.

How do you know that it's a bad O-ring? I tried replacing the o-ring and it still did not seal.

Has the pump run dry recently? NO

Is the skimmer running dry? NO

Try turning the pump on and off a few times to see if you can see water squirting out when you turn the pump off. Some water does leak out around the cover when I turn the pump off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.