Chlorine generator

jabsaw

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2009
Anaheim, CA
We are going to be filling up and doing a start up for our pool soon. I was wondering if someone could recommend a way to have chlorine distributed in the pool without using salt.
I have seen a couple of products online that claim to generate the chlorine in a remote "box."

What I am hoping for is something to monitor and place the chlorine in the pool as necessary...
(man, I sound really lazy!)

The saltwater pool, from what I have researched, will kill my veggitation. I do not have a line into the sewer so it goes into the yard for backflushing.

Recommendations....please... :oops:

You can look at the "Chemical Automation and The Liquidator" forum for info on automating your chlorine feed with something other than a SWG. I am sure someone more knowledgeable will talk more about your options in this area shortly.

Hayward and Pentair make DE separation tanks that allow you to backwash into this unit and a screen "catches" the DE, the backwash water (less the DE) is returned to the pool saving your vegetation, pool water and salt. These units have to be added into your pool plumbing.

jabsaw said:
We are going to be filling up and doing a start up for our pool soon. I was wondering if someone could recommend a way to have chlorine distributed in the pool without using salt.
I have seen a couple of products online that claim to generate the chlorine in a remote "box."

What I am hoping for is something to monitor and place the chlorine in the pool as necessary...
(man, I sound really lazy!)

The saltwater pool, from what I have researched, will kill my veggitation. I do not have a line into the sewer so it goes into the yard for backflushing.

Recommendations....please... :oops:

What kind of vegetation do you have? I backwash to the lawn and have no problems.

There is nothing there yet (the small patch of ground is pretty barren already!)
I was hoping to grow grass, but heard the Salt will build up and cause everything to die.

Thank you Dravenone for the redirect...I guess I didn't scroll down far enough to see that forum. :-D

Hi, Jennifer,

I'm not sure the salt discharge will kill your vegetation. I seem to remember some posts here that indicate it's no problem but I don't have a salt water generator so others will comment on the salt discharge.

If the SWG is not for you, there is a product called the liquidator that works pretty well but requires some occaisonal maintenance. There are several ways to get chlorine into your pool but none that may be as troublefree as you're hoping.

The "Pucks" will seem the easiest but don't be lulled into think they are carefree. Pool School has some great articles on the basics of pool chemistry plus a lot of info about different types of chlorine.

In most areas, the amount of salt from a SWG pool will not cause any problems for grass or other common plants. In especially arid areas or when growing exotic plants it might make a difference.

The Liquidator is the most obvious alternative to a SWG, though many people have had very minor problems with it. Another choice would be an automatic bleach feed system using a peristaltic pump.

Ok...after careful consideration...we are thinking the salt water is not going to kill the already dead grass. I think the abundance of DE on the ground has already disposed of the grass. :lol:
Due to too much backflushing, we thought the salt would really do the grass in. Now that I realize that I was doing it allllll wrong....we will not have to backflush quite as often. :-D

I have a quote from TD Consultants for a generator SMCA30 - $676.00.
Anyone have one of these?
What are your impressions?
Hardwired or did you have a plug put on?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.