Pentair Two Speed Pump Tripping the CB

Hello,

I am hoping that someone can help me determine if my pump is bad. I purchased a like new Pentair two speed pump from Amazon. I have never owned a two speed pump. The wiring diagram on the side of the pump seems to imply that it could be wired for high speed all the time. This is what i wanted and wired leg 1 and 2 hot (120volts each). The green wire to ground. When I moved the CB sw to on the CB immediately tripped? I attached the wiring diagram.
Please advise if I did something wrong or how do I troubleshoot the pump for a problem. Is it possible the capacitor is bad?

Thanks for your help.

Tommy

Attachments

• Pentair pool pump.jpg
    Pentair pool pump.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 39
SF,

"Like New" means it was like new before someone blew it up... :cool: If you wired 1 to hot and 2 to hot and have nothing connected to 3, then it appears that you wired it up correctly to me.

It could be the cap, but doubt it. You could disconnect it just to see if it quits popping the breaker.

Sorry,

Jim R.

Jim R.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. The pump assembly looks unused except the cap housing is dented. The cap also looks undamaged and new. I will remove the cap connections and retest test. I am assuming if the pump will not operate, but if the the CB does not pop then the cap is the problem. There is a switch on the back of the pump, is there anything I should check?

Thank you.

I can only assume that switch would be used to select between the high and low speeds. I'd double check it and see where its wires, if any, go. If connected to the terminals where you wired your AC input, then you will need to re-wire using the diagram with the switch.

Jim R.

Jim,

I removed the capacitor and confirmed it was good. I also removed the two hot wires off the pump and put power on. The breaker did not trip, so the wires from the timer to the pump is not shorted.

My pump assembly has a toggle switch wired in, so i don't think i can use the non toggle switch diagram.

I would like your help in determining how to wire the pump using the toggle diagram. I have (3) terminals on the pump, and not sure where to put the two hot wires.

Thank you,

Tommy

The Diagram is a little hard to make out but here is how it should work. One of the 115 VAC inputs (hot) comes in and should connect to lug L1. Just the same as if no switch was there.

Coming out of the switch are three wires. The yellow one should be connected to lug 2 (High speed) and the white one should be connected to Lug 3 (Low speed). You will need to find the third wire (Black) coming from the switch. The key here is to find where the black wire coming from the switch is going.. I can't tell for sure if you will only see the black wire itself or if it is connected to a lug somewhere. The other hot input goes to this black wire.

When the switch is in one position it will apply power to the low speed input , and putting the switch into the other position will apply the power to the high speed input.

Jim R.

Jim,

I am going to insert my finding into part of your previous statement for ease of reading. I also put my comments in bold.

"Coming out of the switch are three wires." (This is correct. Yellow and White wire on ends and the Black in the center switch position) The yellow one should be connected to lug 2 (High speed) and the white one should be connected to Lug 3 (Low speed). (Correct) You will need to find the third wire (Black) coming from the switch. (The Black wire is connected to Lug 1). The key here is to find where the black wire coming from the switch is going.. I can't tell for sure if you will only see the black wire itself or if it is connected to a lug somewhere. The other hot input goes to this black wire.

Given that the black wire is on Lug 1, does both hot wires go to Lug 1? Is it possible that this motor is requiring a 220volt input and not two 110volt input.

I have attached a photo of the rear switch and motor connections.

Thank you again for your help.

Tommy
motor connections.jpgSwitch connections.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.