Stenner pump vs the Liquidator

I had a Liquidator and have a Stenner. The Liqudator works off the suction created by your pump to infuse chlorine from a mix tank into your pool. They are a passive system. Easy to install and generally easy to maintain. Two limits on the Liquidator.

First they have problems with variable speed pumps. At low speed many systems won't generate the suction necessary to cause the Liquidator to work. Solar systems create further confusion because when it goes on you are infusing more chlorine then the days it does not.

Second, all liquid Chlorine has salt. The salt tends to precipitate out in the mix tank and has to be removed periodically. ( not a fun job) If you don't remove it it clogs the lines and there is no suction. Some folks (like me) have a situation where no mater what you do salts or other white stuff clogs the lines and prevents the system from working. Cleaning the lines every two weeks is not my idea of fun.

Stenners are more expensive. But they can be adjusted both from a time and volume and don't rely on your pump. You can control it with a time clock, your pool timer or the pool automation. With a fifteen gallon tank you would have almost a month's supply of chlorine. (I wouldn't leave the pool that long)

Stenners downside is that they are more expensive and complicated to set up but not really very technical. You have to do periodic maintenance on them at least every 2 years. Their biggest downside is they make you complacent and cause you to ignore your pool.

They are chemical pumps designed to be installed outside. With the cute rain shield they do fine. My problem is rain filling the overflow reservoir of the Stenner tank. So if you use a Stenner tank I'd build some kind of roof.

Also while I do notice the clicking, its not that noticeable. I have it set to run in the morning when no one is in the outdoor dining area where the pool pad is located.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the Liquidator and I feel that there is a Stenner in my future. Generally, I prefer simple to complex, but there are too many variables involved to expect the Liquidator to predictably meter chlorine, whether you have a variable speed pump or not. The Liquidator will inject somewhat of a base line of chlorine in the pool, but you can expect to fine tune things by hand....

I was reading older posts on the liquidator and saw that tfp members can get the system at a discount. Does anyone know if this still the case? Also an upgrade 3/8 is available any feedback?

My experience:

The Liquidator comes with 1/4" tubing and it is undersized. All of the 3/8" upgrades vastly improve the efficiency of the unit, but being supplied by a third party, are not covered under warranty. As provided, the Liquidator fittings will leak because there is a thread mismatch.... the 3/8" fittings are not the proper thread, either, but they will likely stop the leakage.

My pool mechanicals are in a location where it gets full sun most of the day. Would this be a concern with either a stenner or liquidators chlorine storage tank? I'm thinking that the stored bleach or liquid chlorine would degrade in this location.

I put my 15 gallon tank inside of a garbage can. Made a big difference in how hot the 15 gallon container was getting. Now it is cool to touch and seems the chlorine stays better.

Tim is the high pressure pump needed due to pool pump pressure? I found one on chemical world.com, do you recommend a specific supplier, and also did you buy the tank through the same manufacturer?
yes, you don't want the pool pump to overpower the Stenner and push water back into the tank. Plus, the HP pumps come with a check valve to totally prevent this from happening.

I purchased my Stenner from USWatersystems, but that was based on their price being best at the time. I don't think many companies stock,the pumps, but rely on drop shipping direct from Stenner.

Stenner does make a nice tank that the pump will mount directly on, but it is expensive. I just pruchased a used food grade 15 gallon barrel, kind of,like this: 15 Gallon Barrel/Drum, Plastic Barrels, Plastic Drums, Metal Drums, Plastic Totes, Plastic Storage Containers - ArizonaBarrels.com

Both the Stenner 25psi and the 100psi models work equally well. For acid inaction, lower GPD model preferred over the higher GPD model. Just the opposite if you are injecting chlorine.

As a general rule, one should opt to get the 100psi models of Stenner pumps as the pressure-side of some filter systems could be between 18-25psi, right? I guess this is measured inside the filter tank, i.e. the PSI gauge on top. However, 25psi seems as if it'd be cutting it too close. Wouldn't it be better to always give yourself maximum headroom, i.e. always opt to get the 100psi model?

Another question: the Stenner pumps are rated in "gallons per day" (GPD). So this means that if the pump were to run continuously, for 24 hours straight, then a total of 3 gallons of liquid would be dispensed. Is this correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.