Pump won't prime, rattle on DE filter

May 7, 2010
Dallas, TX
There is s rattling in my DE filter (sounds like plastic hitting the lid) and pump won't prime (fills up basket 75%). Filter pressure up about 5-10 psi over normal. Just showed up over night. I think I have a small rip in one filter grid, as DE showed up in the Polaris cleaner net Before I put on the winter cover.

First plan was to take apart filter, but will have to take off half of work to work on it before sun goes down and its getting low enough to turn on the freeze guard.

Any ideas? Do I need to drain the system and shut it down while I diagnose? Temps don't get higher than 68 this week but low of 25 sat and don't want to do anymore damage to system.

Confusing info. If your pump does not prime, you should have NO filter pressure....not an increase in filter pressure.

Don't worry about the freeze......not a chance at those temps.

Clarify whether or not you have water flowing through your pump.

Confusing info. If your pump does not prime, you should have NO filter pressure....not an increase in filter pressure.

Don't worry about the freeze......not a chance at those temps.

Clarify whether or not you have water flowing through your pump.

There is water flowing into the pump basket but only about 75% full. and pressure reads at 20-22. normally around 15-18. Maybe the gauge is broken? I opened up the pressure gauge valve and water shot out like normal

Here are pictures of my pump. Forgot to have my wife grab a pic of the pump and she's left for work.

lCGuVPB.jpg

1cVgntP.jpg

Increased psi typically is from resistance/partial obstruction on the pressure side of the system.

That said, the basket being only partially filled with water indicates a suction side leak and that would result in lower pressure, not higher.

I'll keep thinking on that but something is not adding all the way up.

Increased psi typically is from resistance/partial obstruction on the pressure side of the system.

That said, the basket being only partially filled with water indicates a suction side leak and that would result in lower pressure, not higher.

I'll keep thinking on that but something is not adding all the way up.

I really appreciate it. Trying to avoid calling the pool company. i have a small crack in my Jandy 8 way valve, but that has been like that for a while and hasn't gotten worse. Usually my pump would have a little air in the basket, but would still prime. I've only been in this house since march, but still haven't be able to pin point the leak for the pump basket down. System has run fine literally until today. anything else i could check/picture or video to help?

Think the best bet is to pull all plugs, drain it and take apart filter to see what is rattling in there? Would it be worth taking off the top of the multiport valve to check the gasket?

Opened up the filter to see if I can find what was making that noise. This is what it looks like. Couldn't backwash first vecause of a problem with my sight glass (it's gone) and back washing floods my side yard so I only do it when absolutely necessary. About to pull it out and see if I see anything and clean it.

e82df869f68c4fe36a7a28e435777b0f.jpg

Now clean. Small hairline cracks on the top of plastic piece thinking about taking it all apart to try and find the grid that may be leaking DE. assuming I just look for rips
6458c2481df4732297be9d3a55acb902.jpg
m never done that before.
Go steady if you decide to pull the grid apart. I'm not a pro so I'm sure with your filter, but on my DE Nautilus the grids are different sizes and fit together one way only. When I replaced my set I took a load of pics during the dismantle. Someone had posted on here that a vid exists on You Tube showing grid replacement. Re: your pump prime....I had the pump diffuser shear causing plenty of pump gurgling and no prime, basket just churning half full. Also, though my pressure was way down on the filter, not up as yours is.

- - - Updated - - -

That should say.....I'm not a pro so I'm NOT sure with your filter

- - - Updated - - -

one more thing, sludge in the base of the filter is not a cause for concern if the filter hasn't been cleaned for a while.

Here's the thread on the diffuser issue if there is something that might help
Pump Help - Not priming

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Couldn't find any tips on the grids. Is this crack big enough to let DE in?

3dd9c8d44bd1722b92c5794e193a0ec8.jpg

I'm thinking it might be this thing? It's open and can see through. Also there is no plastic template that I had on a similar filter I owned before. Do you have to have one of those?

e38ed807fa302d8473d3ff67a9acec94.jpg
I wouldn;t be surprised. DE is pretty fine stuff and then you put it under 20 psi or so... it's going to find a way.

This looks like a job for five minute epoxy.

And the plastic template isn't necessary. It's just to hold all the grids in alignment to ease attaching the manifold. The filter itself will work fine with or without one.

As far as the priming issue.... A sticking skimmer weir or low water level can be enough to get a vortex going, so the filter sucks air instead of water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.