Pump suction pipe size?? Re-plumbing?

May 28, 2013
I am installing a new Hayward Tristar VSP pump and the current plumbing from the single skimmer is 1.5". Would I gain anything by a short run of 2" pipe from the existing 1.5" piping to the pump, through the filter and through the SWG back to 1.5" return??

I plan on putting in a divert valve for level control. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. No plans to add any other features in the near future.

Thanks in advance. FYI installing a Hayward Cartridge filter C3030. Previously installed Hayward SWG. Re-plumbing everything.

Thanks. I am replacing all piping from the ground up. So just for my clarification. I gain by less head loss through the piping even though the flow rate won't significantly change on the original supply and return lines(1.5 in and out). Would it be worth extra cost to go any larger? Initial budget is not the driving factor, more about long term savings on system components longevity.

AJ,

I recently added a VS pump and SWG to an older pool with 1.5" plumbing. I replaced all the above ground 1.5 " plumbing with 2" plumbing just to make it eaiser to plumb more than anything else.

I did not notice any increase or decrease in the overall operation due to the pipe size.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.