LifeTime Supporter
Jan 4, 2016
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi to everyone and thanks so much for this forum! I've learned a ton here and really like the emphasis on practical solutions that don't cost an arm and a leg.:)

I had an above-ground pool many years ago, and have really enjoyed learning what works best now. While going through the building process, there were more opinions than there are kangaroos in Australia. Whenever I asked for reasoning, all I would hear is "don't worry about it, we've done this for years," "that doesn't work," or "nobody does that." I've been seriously misled by both builders and pool shops in more ways than I care to count!

My background is agriculture, where we tested every bit of dogma just to make a buck, so my nature is to try to find reliable and low cost alternatives. From what I've seen here, you folks have it nailed.

Thanks heaps for all the tips and explanations!

Thanks for the welcome! Aside from the current rainy spell, we've been swimming in it every day :).

As far as test kit, I just have the 4 in 1 test kit so far. I'd like to be able to do Calcium hardness, and possibly CYA. My current kit has FC colour bands for 2 ppm and 5 ppm, but I'd like to be able to see 4/5/6 ppm FC differences. It's all been very interesting so far, and thanks again for all the great resources here.