Pool Light Placement?

Jun 5, 2007
I'm having a FiberGlass (Barrier Reef) rectangle 35x16 pool installed....now on it's 6th week! Go figure....any way. I upgraded the light to a ColorLogic LED light. Tonight I come home and I see a big hole on the side of the pool (on the 35 foot side instead of the 16 foot side under the the skimmer), for the pool niche. Is this correct? If not does anyone have any reference for this.....?

I have been directed to place the pool light so it points away from your main viewing area so it has a softer illumination and does not directly point in the direction of your face when you are normally looking at it. I am installing a 34 x 17 rectagular type shotcrete pool and am installing two color-logic lights, both are on the 34' wall side and positioned on eaither side of my baja step area. It was recomended for me to install two since my pool is larger than the AZ average and I am using pebble-tec for the interior.

Thanks for the reply. That kinda makes sense what you are saying. It's actually facing away from the patio. But now you have me scratching my head.....I notice your deminsions are similar to mine, but I'm only installing one light......never even thought about 2..... :roll:

pool lite

nocaster- thats good to hear that 1 color logic works. what finish do you have? i am contracted for 1 color logic in the spa and 1 in the pool. my pool is a little smaller (30' by 13' 360 sq. ft.). txborn- the video looks awesome and thats why i went with the color logic over the sam. arizona- what color pebble do you have? coolpackard- you can place your lite anywhere you want and the builder should have asked you where you wanted it and it should have been on your plans. i am hoping the 1 color logic will be enough. i am going to choose the lightest pebbletec. 2 pool lites are probably better than 1 but these lites are not cheap. also, hayward is coming out with an upgraded version in august. its supposed to be brighter and has 4 additional shows. unfortunately i think i will have to use the 2.5 as my dig is next tuesday. i have heard that these lites are not as bright as standard pool lites and if you go with a dark finish then you are just wasting money.

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I did alot of research on the ColorLogic light, and I have also seen alot of reviews concerning the SAVI Light http://www.nexxuslighting.com/products/ ... l_spa.html apparently this is very good light, and some people say brighter. But communicating with my Pool Builder's "project manager" if you can call him that, and trying to explain to him the difference between ColorLogic 2.0, 2.2, 2.5, 3.0 has been like pulling teeth. Obviously the light that is available is the 2.5 version.

And since I'm always working and the wife has been "managing" this project, none of us bothered to even think about light placement. But they put the light on the side of the pool, away from the patio, I guess so it's not in our eyes.....time will tell on the brightness. My gut says, and from the great responses, one light should be okay.....

coolpackard- do you have a dark or lite interior? never heard of the nexxus lite but it sure looks cool. is it really brighter than the color logic? its so frustrating that i will have to use the 2.5 instead of the 3.0 which is still in production. the 3.0 is supposedly brighter and also has brightness/motion controll. would love to see some more nite pics with the led lites.

shauney,

I have an older fiberglass pool with somewhat faded gel coat. The light is not as bright as an incadescent when in a color mode (when it is white I don't see much difference), but to me the ColorLogic is not so much about the brightness as it is the effect. When I'm in the pool with the light on I feel as if I'm swimming in a neon light. The effect of the light in the back yard with my other landscape lights is absolutely stunning. With the light on the pool will cast somewhat of an iridescent glow on the side of my house and fence. I could see having more than one light if a pool had some sort of alcove or was very large and irregular.

Even though I like the effect of the hayward color logic lights, my electrician is trying to convince me to go with a brighter light and use the JandyColor Lights since they are less expensive and deliver brighter light to my surface. My pebble-tec will probably be tahoe blue...kinda a mid color, but darker base to it. My only decision to confirm the change from hayward to jandy is that they will sync together since two lights are in the same body of water. The Jandy decision is also based on the Jandy Aqualink system that I decided on.

You should have had the choice of where the light goes in your pool if it was not stated on your plans. Ask the PB why he placed it where he did. His decision may have merit behind it, doesn't hurt to ask why.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
shauney said:
coolpackard- do you have a dark or lite interior? never heard of the nexxus lite but it sure looks cool. is it really brighter than the color logic? its so frustrating that i will have to use the 2.5 instead of the 3.0 which is still in production. the 3.0 is supposedly brighter and also has brightness/motion controll. would love to see some more nite pics with the led lites.

I know exactly what you are talking about....I'm upset that I was not able to get the 3.0. I even did an extensive Web search, and nothing. So now I have the ColorLogic 2.5 (50 Foot Cord) installed on the side of the pool awaiting justification from the PB why they installed it where they did. I kind wanted teh light under the square skimmer thing! Love the lingo!

:roll:

pool lite

good info here- i am contracted for just 1 color logic and my dig is tuesday so i dont think my builder is going to want to add a 2nd color logic and i am not sure i need one. i am thinking of going with the caribbean blue pebble as opposed to the white pearl pebble. the white pebble will show the lite better but looks more like standard plaster. anybody have caribbean blue and a color logic and how does it work?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.