Vacuuming Issues

Hi,
just had my pool installed last year, my husband wan't happy with the workmanship, so he fired the contactor prior to the cement deck being poured!! Hopefully it will be done very soon. My question is... Sometimes when the pool is quite dirty (no concrete, dirt gets in from the rain) and i vaccuum debris gets back in the water through the inlets, is there something wrong somewhere or is it just too much too fast??

Edited for capitalization. JasonLion

Hi and Welcome :wave:

Can you see the debri flowing thru the return?

Have you opened the sand filter to make sure the sand hasn't 'channelled' allowing the dirty water to flow right through?

Are you sure your not moving to quickly when vacuming and it's just getting stirred up and redepositing? You have to move very slowly when vacuming.

If none of these are an issue, you could try adding DE to the sand filter to help improve filtration. Read all about it here

If you're getting large pieces of debris back in, there's a problem. If you're seeing more of a plume of green or brown that blows back in but doesn't have any visible solids in it, then it's probably just too fine for your filter to capture. If you're seeing the latter, try filling the pool as much as possible and then vacuuming the debris to waste.

Hi,
Thanks for the responses. Channeling, how do I check for that? Shut off the pump and loosen the nuts in the collar of the filter and remove it? Do I do anything else? When I put it back together do I do anything prior to turning the pump back on? What am I looking or once I open it up, and what do I do about it? Sorry to sound so needy but I really don't want to mess anything up, but on the other hand I want to be slf suficient in the care of this pool. I found this forum shortly after the pool was installed and here is where I learned to keep the chemicals in order and where I learned that the pool installers had put in way to much stabilizer and now I can't use trichlor. I appreciate any help I can get. Thankyou!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.