Testing CYA with Taylor-2006

Oct 16, 2015
Kelowna BC
I know some people have poorer eyesight than others, but when I was filling the test tube and looking till when the dot disappears, it seemed to have disappeared--then I took it over to brighter daylight and it was very faintly still there, like if I closed one eye I could still barely see a hint of it. How much light is needed? What's the trick with this? Thanks! :)

You should conduct the test outdoors in full sunlight with the sun to your back. The real trick is to pour the solution back and forth from the mixing bottle to the test tube several times to make sure you get a good consistent reading.

You should conduct the test outdoors in full sunlight with the sun to your back. The real trick is to pour the solution back and forth from the mixing bottle to the test tube several times to make sure you get a good consistent reading.

LOL we don't get much sun in the winter, but yeah it's usually much brighter outside. I'll do the pouring back and forth from the mixing bottle. Seems to use a lot of the reagent! I guess that's why it comes with 2 bottles.

LOL we don't get much sun in the winter, but yeah it's usually much brighter outside. I'll do the pouring back and forth from the mixing bottle. Seems to use a lot of the reagent! I guess that's why it comes with 2 bottles.
YOu only need to mix one batch. Once mixed it doesn't go bad - just pour back and forth.

I know some people have poorer eyesight than others, but when I was filling the test tube and looking till when the dot disappears, it seemed to have disappeared--then I took it over to brighter daylight and it was very faintly still there, like if I closed one eye I could still barely see a hint of it. How much light is needed? What's the trick with this? Thanks! :)
I thought that you don't really have to worry about CYA in a covered spa. Presumably yours is covered, isn't it?

Dave is following these methods - How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

So yes, CYA needs to be measured -

Here is a quote from that article:
Sanitation
On a fresh fill use Dichlor until you get to 20-30 ppm CYA. (10 ppm FC = 9 ppm CYA)
Then switch to Clorox Unscented 6% bleach.
Never let FC drop to Zero for any length of time. Keep it between 3-6 ppm normally, min of 1 ppm, and shock to 12 ppm once a week.
Use MPS if needed before hot tub party's and/or once a week to help oxidation. Don't use more than needed, because it's acidic and may lower your TA/pH.
Dichlor, Bleach and MPS is all you need to keep your tub sanitized.
Use PoolMath to calculate exact amounts to add.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.