Sand Blasted Colored Concrete

I have not seen it done but it makes sense in that it is used to "clean" paint and rust off of metal so I bet it would work on decking. BUT they would need to use care to not destroy the concrete as I bet it would "eat" it if they are not careful.

I wonder if a good power wash would do anything?

Kim

No, this is for a new pour. The concrete will be colored and then blasted to created a interesting but non skid surface. I've seen pictures of the end results but would like to hear from someone who has lived with it. Other option is acid etched but I am worried about it being slick.

Never heard of that process. Mine is rock salt finished and colored tan with a color hardener. Not slick at all, looks great after 3-1/2 years and NO maintenance. Also, not too hot. Pics in build thread, link in sig.

No, this is for a new pour. The concrete will be colored and then blasted to created a interesting but non skid surface. I've seen pictures of the end results but would like to hear from someone who has lived with it. Other option is acid etched but I am worried about it being slick.

If you are primarily concerned with a skid free surface, it is hard to beat the old school brushed surface.

As for sandblasting, the skid-free results will depend on the grit used. I can only imagine that there is an inverse relationship in the grit size and quality of appearance and the variation in mottling means variation in depth of cut.... I don't know if you could feel that, or not.

Yes. Appreciated the brushed, but really need some finished look to the concrete.

Would love to hear from others about acid etched. The concrete will be colored throughout so we only need to etch, not stain. If the etching process will not leave a slick surface that's fine with us.

I have acid finished colored (tan) concrete decking. Completely NOT slippery. Concrete is poured and allowed to set for a day or two then two guys brushed in and rinsed muriatic acid (with full face respirators on). Very simple and looks great. No troubles 3+ years out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A01C1BC8-4271-41C4-878A-194490F20156_zps2pbkzzam.jpg

The portion above the deck drain is acid finished concrete (pool deck). The section below the drain is rock-salt finished (walkways). The concrete used for those pours are identical (same batch). When the concrete is wet, the sidewalk is darker than the pool deck because of the finish differences.

Acid finishing done properly will be very uniform. I'm not sure how that compares to sand blasting but, like a lot of this stuff, it's really dependent on the skills and experience of the decking sub. I would not ask a particular sub to do anything they have not done in the past. If they do sand blasting primarily than asking them to do an acid etch could yield sub-par results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Ive seen it done on commercial buildings after the fact where there was a too-high instance of slip and fall.
In the end - the acid smells bad, but the sandblasting makes a huge mess that hangs around for a while...Acid is a much more common occurrence because of the mess. Ive also see acid etched granite shower floors.
With colored concrete you have to me mindful of the acid application because too much in a low spot (as low as 1/16") can cause discoloration in that area.

Sandblasting is great. I have my patio deck done with sandblasting. The surface treatment works best with the integral color concrete instead of the surface color concrete. We choose our concrete patio with Davis color call Slate or something like that. It is a nice dark grey when wet but pretty light when dry. The coloring is mixed in the concrete so it is uniform through out the mix. Then they came with a sandblasting machine to give it a matte uniform none slippery surface. Looks very modern and clean, not the typical shying surface you see with the surface color concrete. We love ours. I will try to take some pic tomorrow when light. If you are going for a modern and high end kind of finish, this is way to go. We considered acid etch too, but just not sure how skillful the applicators are. I did a lot of research when deciding the surface treatment for the patio deck and really happy about the sandblasting. The architecture designer for my project was hesitant to use this method and integral colored concrete at the beginning and kept telling me I should do the stamp surface concrete.... I am glad that I stay with my guts and in the end she agreed with me about using this type of finish since NY project is clean line and none fuzzy and modern.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Sandblasting is great. I have my patio deck done with sandblasting. The surface treatment works best with the integral color concrete instead of the surface color concrete. We choose our concrete patio with Davis color call Slate or something like that. It is a nice dark grey when wet but pretty light when dry. The coloring is mixed in the concrete so it is uniform through out the mix. Then they came with a sandblasting machine to give it a matte uniform none slippery surface. Looks very modern and clean, not the typical shying surface you see with the surface color concrete. We love ours. I will try to take some pic tomorrow when light. If you are going for a modern and high end kind of finish, this is way to go. We considered acid etch too, but just not sure how skillful the applicators are. I did a lot of research when deciding the surface treatment for the patio deck and really happy about the sandblasting. The architecture designer for my project was hesitant to use this method and integral colored concrete at the beginning and kept telling me I should do the stamp surface concrete.... I am glad that I stay with my guts and in the end she agreed with me about using this type of finish since NY project is clean line and none fuzzy and modern.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

im interested in seeing these pictures if you have time to post them. Thanks!

Wondering if anyone has ever had someone suggest this for their pool decking. If so and you could share pictures I'd love to see them.

I'm new to TFP and doing lots of research for our upcoming pool build which is how I came across this old thread.

To achieve our overall look, one of the design choices that is being recommend to us is the sandblasted concrete. Did you decide to go with that finish on your decking? If so, I'd love to see pictures and know if you are happy with the results.

We are in the Dallas area too. We haven't gotten a price on that option yet. Do you mind sharing what you were quoted and your sq ft? We have about 950 sq ft of decking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.