No pool cover ... when must I open?

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
Backstory: We didn't use a pool cover last winter. The water was very clean up until freezing, and when it thawed it was also very clear. I've been netting out anything that falls into it -- mostly leaves & tree pods. I haven't opened it yet.

However ... it's starting to go green, despite all my netting. And even though I'd wanted to avoid opening until Memorial Day, I'm worried that it will become a health hazard! It's starting to smell vaguely like algae and I know it's going to take lots of work to get it up to swimmable. I don't think there's any way I can clean it up without opening, because nothing will circulate. So I seem to be stuck with either opening now (April!) or tolerating an increasingly green and smelly pool. My questions:

1) Would using a cover next winter mean that I could open later to a clear pool? Or would it just have meant that I wouldn't see how green it is (which would ease my mind), but it would still be in exactly the same shape when I opened it?

2) If I could tolerate the greenness (and I'm not sure I can!), is it dangerous to people or to my pool to leave it until it's swimming weather?

3) Has anybody calculated the cost of opening early (electricity/water costs) vs. opening later (more chemicals)?

Thanks everyone for your input!

I would think one issue would be a mosquito haven.

By not covering it, you probably lost some of the FC to sunlight, so there was less in reserve to fight the green now that the weather is warming up.

I'm near Chicago, and I opened with a residual of 3.5, crystal clear. I cover my pool.

I'm sure I'll pay more for opening now, but I'd rather do that than deal with a green pool and a disgusting cover... :puker:

If you have a submersible pump or another way to circulate the water, you could get some bleach in there, but you need a way for the water to circulate or the chlorine could "puddle".

If you do decide to open, your run time would be much less than during summer months. You could just run it at night (if your nightime rates are less) for 8 hours or perhaps less, it depends on the water / air temp. With a solar cover, that would also cut down on UV loss but it would have the water warmer...sort of a trade off.

It's getting too green ... I've decided to open, to spare myself the eyesore and embarrassment! This is my first time opening (have never closed), and I've figured out where all the plugs go except for two. They were stored with the return jet eyeball fittings, and are the same material and size as the eyeballs. I think they're used to close off one return, in order to test the pipes ... but I'm not sure, and I'm afraid to start up with loose plugs lying around!

Does anyone know where they might go, if my guess isn't correct? (I've removed the gizzmo from the return basket, reinserted 2 plugs in the pump basket reservoir and 1 on the pump, and reinserted the sight glass and pressure gauge.)

Also, is there any "best" time to raise the water level?

Finally, I'd like to go a bit overboard when I shock, using liquid bleach. I'm figuring that since we won't be swimming for a while, it will save me some work. Are there any dangers to doing this?

Thanks again for the help!

If you go over the mustard algae shock level there is a reasonable chance that you will be shortening the life of your vinyl liner. It is not a huge deal to go a little over for a short time, but a large amount over for a long time will have a noticeable long term effect.

It is best to open the pool before the water reaches 60 degrees.

Having trouble posting pictures ... if this posts, the photo will show the plugs next to the return jet eyeball fittings, for comparison. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Water temp is 52F and I don't think it's been much higher ... the algae started in earnest right after a windstorm that blew tons of leaves and pollen pods (and small pollen) into the pool. I'm wondering whether a pool cover would have prevented this algae problem?

Attachments

• fittings plug (Small).jpg
    fittings plug (Small).jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 236
slelxurmxzc8r9gsgdiu.jpg

They are plugs. Could be extra.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.