New build during El Nino

natewa

Dec 31, 2015
Orange County, CA
I am ready to start digging my new pool, but have heard that building a pool during a period of heavy rain is not advisable. I live in Southern California and it is predicted that we will be experiencing some significant amounts of rain coming up. I've been waiting for the onslaught to begin for 2 months now - to no avail.

Are there any experienced pool builders on here than can recall issues during the 1997-98 winter or any other abnormally wet season?

Thank you to anyone that has experience with this and is willing to give advice.

I really don't think it has to be someone that lived through the 97-98 winter or such to help you.

Any build during lots of rain will have the same problems---------water+dirt= mud.

If the ground is very wet the machines will sink down and cause even more damage to the yard.

If you get the hole dug THEN it rains too much it will cause cave ins and mud slides that have to be fixed.

IF your PB can time it just right he can dig, lay plumbing, steel, AND shoot gunite BEFORE it rains too much.

It is all going to be a matter of timing.

Good luck!

Kim

I would wait till spring too, only reason we built in fall is because next years prices had not kicked in and I figured there would be no anxiety on our part if there was a construction delay because we knew we were not going to swim till next season. Construction never completes on time but even knowing that it can be a hard pill to swallow when you want to play with your new toy.

If you have not already it might be wort finding a builder now while they are slow may be able to get a better price and if nothing ells you should be able to pick your start date because you can get the design and permitting out of the way now. Another consideration is if El Ninio is a disappointment cites might start limiting pool builds if you have a permit in hand you should be good to go no matter what.

Thank you for the responses! I stumbled upon this site by accident and am already amazed by the willingness of you all to help.

I am not as concerned about mud in my back yard as I am about decking and other concrete items shifting, as the soil beneath it dries out (or accepts water). I have extremely sandy soil that drains very quickly, so I've never seen it particularly "muddy" in my yard. It has even been a struggle to get grass to grow in my yard because the soil drains/dries out so fast.

Natewa, plenty of pools were built in 97-98 with no problems due to the rain. I am starting a dig this week in Norco Ca. with the predicted rains. After the pool is dug your biggest worry is cave in of the walls due to run off of water. To help prevent this I have the home owner drape the first few feet of the top deck and all the way down the walls with visqueen. The problem with loosing the wall dirt is that it has to be replaced with Gunite/Shot-Crete. Shooting a pool shell after a rain is good for the shell with the hydration process. Remember the shell is not to dry for the first 7 days to help with the curing process. Hope this helps, Ray.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.