Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak under sand filter (video included)

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak under sand filter (video included)

PB replaced the sand in my filter yesterday when he opened the pool.. I noticed today I lost a few inches of water overnight and a have a steady leak coming from under the filter base. Any idea where it might be leaking from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-llTIV6nN38
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leak under sand filter (video included)

Since they just replaced the sand, it is probably coming from the filter drain plug. If a simple tightening of the drain plug doesn't fix it, call back who ever replaced the sand and get them to fix whatever they did wrong.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks.. the drain plug is in the rear and doesn't not appear to be leaking.. regardless, I called him and asked him to come back out.. I am irratated to say the least.

4. Back To Top    #4

I should think so...that was a heck of alot of water
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow, that is a lot of water. I've seen filters crack around the 'belly button' on the bottom where the mold is cut off, but only on fiberglass tanks. The tank can also crack around the base if it's manhandled too much. I had some guys do that after they refilled a 15 year old filter only to discover they had moved it in the process and it didn't line up with the plumbing anymore. So what did they do? "You get on one side, I'll get on the other..."

There's no reason that should be the case with your filter since the whole top comes off and the MPV stays connected, but the water's coming from somewhere. If you don't see it trickling the tank anywhere then there's probably a crack.

6. Back To Top    #6

PB is coming back out tomorrow. I have the MPV on recirculate for now.

7. Back To Top    #7

The filter drain tube located on the underside of the filter was cracked. PB said the sand replacement had nothing to do with the cracked tube as the only way to get to the tube is to lift the entire filter off the ground. I suppose there is a possibility that someone may have stepped on the end of the tube from the time it was closed last fall. In any event, he replaced the tube and all is well. No charge either!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jjdurrant
    No charge either!
    Excellent!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com