Desperately Seeking Pool Advice

Dec 30, 2015
Clearwater, FL
Hi all! I/We are trying to become first time pool owners in the great state of Florida. So happy that I stumbled upon this site this morning while Googling our many pool questions. I have been reading several of the threads and am already learning.

We are currently seeking quotes from different PBs. Of course each PB tells us something different than the last PB told us. Shocking, right? :( I am hoping some of you will share your knowledge on a few questions I listed below.

- Decking- Travertine vs pavers vs ??? Any advice on the lowest possible maintenance and most affordable decking for a salt water pool that will have a bird cage and two kids running around it??

- Pool finish- Thoughts on the quartz (Marquis Series) vs StoneScapes/Pebble Tech? Once again we want something that looks beautiful with the lesser maintenance...if that exists?!

Thanks again for any wisdom you would like to share. Have a very Happy New Year!!
Barbara

Barb I LOVE your name! Look where I live! I know where I will be tomorrow during the game!

I see that you have several questions about building a pool. They are great questions.

I think your will get a better selection of idea if you post these questions in the "Under Construction" section. It is a VERY active section with all kinds of builds.

Kim

Thanks Kim! I will take your advice and repost. I'm glad to see there are fellow Noles out here giving advice. I'm hoping to get a nice Seminole Aqua mat that I can put on the bottom of the pool. Any ideas on where to get one? I haven't checked the Garnet & Gold or Bills' websites yet. I wish I was in Atlanta tomorrow, but my couch in Clearwater will have to do. Go Noles!

Kim, as a moderator, can you move her post to the Under Construction thread?

Barb, the thing you'll learn about Kim is she is always ready to spend your money! LOL! As far as plaster, the most important thing is application. Make sure you have quality applicators. PebbleTec applicators have to be certified, but that doesn't mean the others aren't good. If you do a search for any of the plaster types, you'll see lots of examples.

Marla I could but I also like it being here as it is a good intro to who she is. She has already started her build thread for us to follow and help spend money on in "under construction"! The fun has begun!

Kim

Am also in Clearwater. Bought a house with a pool and had the tile, plaster, deck and all the equipment redone. The deck was done with pavers, which look really good and have one other benefit: since the pool is old, we had some issues with leaks that were not found during initial testing. With pavers, the bricks could be removed, the concrete dug out, the leak fixed, and everything replaced so you'd never know it had been dug up. The people who did my pool are refinishers and do not build, otherwise I'd recommend them.