Recently Completed Suburban Pool

Sep 20, 2015
QLD Australia
Hi All,

I'm a new member of this great site which I have found some very friendly and helpful members.

I thought I would show some photos of our little back yard pool build which might inspire some to do the same.
It took 10 years of nagging from my wife to do this and I must say I wish we had done it sooner!

We have a 30 Meter back yard fence line which was crying out for a lap pool. However after discussing the pros and cons with our builder, we thought it was best not to fence off the whole back yard and have some free space for the kids to run around in. It also allowed us to keep the trampoline too. Then, there was the cost, a lap pool of even 15M was just too expensive for us if we wanted nice gardens, decking, paving and fencing... :-(

Our design basically evolved into a 5x8M in ground pool to complement the back yard and house shape.

Here are some photos of the journey...
Marking out and digging....
DSC06456.jpg
DSC06459.jpg
DSC06463.jpg

DSC06475.jpg

Great glad you do! The aerial shots were taken with my drone. I highly recommend it if you are planning on build a pool.... Back to the build...

So the "Shell" is now completed. Next we had to sort out the drainage in the backyard. There were a few of field gullies that were replaced by the pool and some underground storm water pipes were dug up too.

Once the new plumbing was in, prep work for the pool surrounds (concrete slab for granite tiles) could be started. At the same time, we had the termite guys come out and fit a barrier to our house.

DSC06624.jpg

DSC06627.jpg

The next day, the lads "topped off" the pool shell for the coping tiles and also prepped for the pool tiles.

DSC06645.jpg

DSC06635.jpg

DSC06637.jpg

DSC06641.jpg

Even at this stage we were still undecided what mosaic tiles to go for... ceramic, glass, blue, black.... I think I did at least 4 trips to local tile shops trying to decide.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The RAIN CAME

DSC06668.jpg

DSC06672.jpg

DSC06671.jpg

It was at this point I got a little stressed. In hind-site it was good that the heavens opened to reveal that one of the excavated field gullies had not been accounted for when the new drainage went it.

After some finger pointing and dirty looks on both sides, our guys put in new pipe to drain the water away....

Next...

I guess one of the other major decisions was the choice of pool surround. Originally quoted was sandstone or travertine tile. However while hunting down ceramic tiles for the pool edge we knew that we had to have Granite tiles. Again that caused some headaches, should we go white, grey or dark granite.

Our builder realized our dilemma and introduced us to a another granite tile called "Fantasy" which we instantly settled on (for extra price... of course) And then we wanted the rebate edge too. Add a few more $$.. Lol.

When these tiles get wet they reveal a cosmic swirl and random pattern that is truly amazing!

Pool Coping Tiles

DSC06680.jpg

DSC06675.jpg
DSC06686.jpg

Then the rest...

DSC06690.jpg
DSC06694.jpg
DSC06701.jpg
DSC06704.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.