Identify this solar heating gadget. [pic]

el_steak

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 15, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
I've received a flyer from a local pool store with an advertisement for the "latest innovation in solar heating". While I doubt this is any better than regular solar panels, I'm curious as how it is supposed to work. I've googled "Solar Coil" but haven't found anything relevent.

Anybody knows what it is ?

solarcoil.jpg

It is basically a very small, dramatically over priced, solar heat panel.

The amount of solar heat you get depends on the total size of the panel. This panel is about 4 square feet. Compare that to a standard panel at 80 square feet, which costs about the same. Normally, you need over one hundred square feet to get a significant effect, and many people have several hundred square feet of panel.

Yep, it appears to be the same laws-of-physics-defying thing as discussed in the other thread.

I don't know what material the clear "bubble" is made of but I'll make a guess that it's some sort of cheap plastic and that in after a summer or 2 in the sun it's going to be yellow and opaque...

el_steak said:
Yep, it appears to be the same laws-of-physics-defying thing as discussed in the other thread.

I don't know what material the clear "bubble" is made of but I'll make a guess that it's some sort of cheap plastic and that in after a summer or 2 in the sun it's going to be yellow and opaque...

Not to mention you can get them for about $70 less at Sam's.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.