Pool School

Welcome! A PDF is a good idea but I don't think it exists might be an idea for the suggestion box. Pool School links are well laid out and not hard to get through. almost all of what you will learn here around water chemistry requires reliable testing most have a kit form tftestkits.net, in Pool School there is a comparison chart of the recommended kits. As for apps I tried a few and found them all lacking, finally settled on a note book and bringing up PoolMath in a browser on my phone.

You can just print out information as needed, there is no PDF document of all the info. Many folks like to print out the FC/CYA chart and Recommended Levels tables and paste them into a notebook...which brings me to the second question.....

Honestly, there is no one great iOS or Android app out there. There are quite a few but they all suffer from one defect or another - no history logging, wrong chemical recommendations, not enough chemical data, etc. Honestly speaking, I'm a huge techie guy and love my gadgets but I find a spiral bound paper notebook and pencil (or pen) works best. No need to boot up a computer and run Excel, or accidentally drop my phone in the pool (it has happened to people), etc. I just sit on my back porch table with my test kit, phone calculator and notebook and spend less than 30mins doing all the tests that are necessary. My notebook sits by the back door that leads out to the pool in a nice, decorative wall rack used for holding magazines, etc. "Old School", in this instance, really works just fine.

Careful with using the service guys. You'd be surprised how quickly and easily they can screw up a pool. Get your test kit now and start checking your water. Confirm with the service guy exactly what he plans on adding. Do not let them run your stabilizer (CYA) up too far or else your only way to fix it is to drain water and refill. For you CA folks, that can be an expensive proposition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

With you being in CA and lack of water you REALLY need the test kit now. The only way to "fix" high CYA is draining and refilling water.

Matt has the right idea......work with your pool service to manage your pool as much as possible until you are done with your travels.

Kim

Android-only app would pose a huge problem for me as I'm an iOS user ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.