Heater should not fire with no flow, right?

gilbee

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2015
Harvey, LA
I just had a new raypak 400k cupro-nickel natural gas heater installed to replace my old Laars unit...the old heater would not fire if there was not flow through the heater. This new heater seems to not care if there is flow or not; when the heater was installed, I had the installer put in a couple of valves so I could isolate the heater when I need to lower pH for AA treatments, and when I isolate the heater, it will still fire when I expected it to error out due to no flow. Does this heater behave differently by design, or is something wrong preventing the flow sensor from stopping the heater from igniting?

That heater should NOT fire if there is no water flow. Now, if you isolate the unit and don't drain the water out of the header there is enough pressure inside it that it would fire. So when you isolate the heater with the two valves, drain the water out of the header and then it won't fire.

If I remember right there is a setting for the flow shutoff when you set it up. I remember reading about it in the manual but when I shut the flow off my heater turned off so I didn't have to mess with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.