Newbie from Houston

HTown

Dec 28, 2015
Houston, TX
Hi everyone,

We recently bought a home that came with a beautiful large pool. Since I've been a huge fan of swimming in pools ever since I can remember I was ecstatic!

Before we even closed we thought about how to deal the pool. Husband wanted to just pay a pool guy like everyone else. At first I was game, until I googled owning a pool and ended up here.

The previous home owners took great care of the home in general and gave me a long explication of how the pool works, the pump, the spa etc. He also gifted us all of his chemicals (all fancy pool store chemicals). The pool uses chlorine pucks, and from what I have been able to gather, bleach/liquid/powdered chlorine was not added. I assume he thought the puck was enough.

The pool looked beautiful and clean. On the bottom/walls/stairs there were/are yellowish/whitish growths. They can be peeled off easily with a fingernail but not that easy with a brush.

The test kit arrived late last week. On Friday, I did the first full test.
These were the results:

pH = 7.6
FC = 0.2 ppm
CC =between 0 and 0.2 ppm
CYA = 60 ppm
TA = 90 ppm
CH = 230 ppm

The low FC shocked me. As soon as I could I went out and bought bleach (on Saturday morning) and poured in what the pool calculator recommended for my CYA to bring FC to 7. Saturday night it started raining, rained a lot on Sunday... So I retested today after sundown with the pump shut off. FC was 5. I decided to do the overnight FC loss test to see if what is going on in the pool is some form of microorganism or something else, just to get out of doubt and to prevent a lot of headaches.

It is a little overwhelming, but I'm trying to get used to it all.

Hi Htown,
welcome to TFP!

First just let me say - WOW!
It seems like you are certainly well on your way to learning to care for the pool. Nicely done so far!

If you have any questions, just ask!

Im sure you may know this, but I will mention it anyways. With your CYA at 60 now, do not use any more of the chlorine pucks. They jsut add more CYA which you really dont want. Stick to Liquid Chlorine (a.k.a. bleach), and maintian your recommended levels and you will be golden.

So I have to ask, what did your Overnight Chlorine Loss Test come out at, and how many (if any) CC's do you have?
If OCLT was more than 1 ppm, I would recommend to SLAM until whatever is consuming the chlorine is dealt with.