First test results.

ty_doc

Dec 14, 2015
Seminole, FL
Hello All,

I have a 13,500 gallon in ground pool constructed of marcite. It is in need of a resurface job that will happen middle of next year..

I just received my Taylor K-2006 test kit this evening and thought I would give it a whirl..

Here are the results below.

FC - 0.6
CC - 0.12
pH - 7.2
TA - 60
CH - 300
CYA - 40

I plan on buying the bleach needed to raise the chlorine levels as I see that is the biggest issue I have at the moment.. With such low levels should I get a liquid chlorine to get it up or will the bleach work?

bleach IS liquid chlorine the only difference is the %. Most liquid chlorine is around 11%. Most bleach is around 8%. There is some really cheap bleach that is only about 2%.

Make sure to check the date code on it. It should not be older than 3months.

Kim

I will have to pick some up first thing tomorrow then.

I have also read about a SLAM. Should I do that due to the chlorine level being so low?
Another Que?

My PH and TA are low according to pool math. Shall I get the chlorine in line first and then worry about those?

Welcome to the forum, Ty!

Is your water clear? Is there any sign of algae?

How did you get the 0.12 reading on the CC?

Also, you can use a 10ml sample for the FC/CC tests and count each drop as 0.5.

- - - Updated - - -

Cross-post. Don't worry about the pH and TA for now.

Water is cloudy but can see the bottom pretty well in deep end. The CC came from the test instructions in the Taylor test kit. I am pretty sure I did it correctly. i believe the color was pretty light pink so it was difficult to tell exactly when it went clear.

We did just have some issues with lots of wood chips and vegetation in the pool from some stump grinding nearby. We also had some clogging that was causing pump problems. That is all fixed at this time. Pool is clean except for some recurring sand that seems to be coming from the sand filter. Probable replacement with cartridge filter next month. Unless anyone knows how to fix that issue..

You have an error with the test for CC's. It should report a resolution of .2 (.2, .6, 1.6, etc.)or even better .5 ppm per drop if you use a 10 ml sample.

This stuff is hard at first but quickly gets very easy.

Always do drops-based testing to the endpoint. Keep adding drops until you are sure the last drop made no difference. Then, subtract that drop.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SLAM process has began. I am worried that I will not be able to complete it.. I am a firefighter and go into work tomorrow for the next 48 hours.. We will see how today goes. The pool looks good so I dont think it should need too much.

As far as the filter.. I have backwashed a bunch due to getting the debris out with the barracuda and manual vacuuming.. The label on the multi port valve is worn out and all i can see is bypass, and backwash. Not sure where the rinse section is... See pics attached..

I have not opened the filter. I have read the articles on cleaning sand and I may attempt that. We just bought this home and been here about a month now. I am unsure of when or if the sand has ever been changed. County records show the pool was built in 1981 with the house.

IMG_20151229_103758747.jpgIMG_20151229_103805416_HDR.jpgIMG_20151229_103828612.jpg

Are you backwashing when you get a 25% increase in your psi? (Does the gauge work?)

If you don't rinse, are you getting dirt back into the pool when you switch back to filter?

You have some old equipment that needs some attention. I would replace that gauge, find your correct positions on the multi port and label them with a sharpie (or get a label from the manufacturer) and open up that filter to at least visually inspect the sand......should be about 2/3 to 3/4 full

It looks like you're going to have to cut the PVC lines to get the top of the filter off. It looks like whoever owned it last redid the piping but didn't bother to add unions to the pipes to make things easily serviceable. So i'd say it's a pretty sure bet that the filter was never deep-cleaned. Do yourself a favor and add them to the filter and pump when you open it all up.

Good luck!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I did not. Didn't realize it until we spoke. Going to do the OCLT tonight, I got a FC-16. Will be able to test again before I leave. If its way off I will shock again in the morning to get to shock level and have to try the SLAM again when I have the chance.

Like I said the pool "looks" better than it has in recent days so I am hoping for the best...

Ty

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.