Hot tub pump repair...how much?

Jul 10, 2012
Herndon, VA
My hot tub pump needs a relatively simple repair, from what I'm guessing.

It started leaking slightly, which means one of the seals needs replacing. Now, it is making a high pitched noise, meaning the bearings need replacing.

I've found the kit online for $50, and videos as well on youtube which make it look relatively easy.

Anyone know from experience how much it would cost to have a "pro" do this repair?

Should I just suck it up and do it myself?

Most "pros" will not rebuild your pump motor due to warranty issues and low replacement parts costs. You can generally find electric motor rebuilders who will do the work, also without a warranty in most cases. I would recommend pricing replacement motors and rebuild the pump (seal, gaskets) yourself. Having done hundreds of these over the years, I would not recommend that you try rebuilding the motor yourself unless it is for fun, as you will likely have to buy a new one when done in any event.

The bearing that are making the noise are in the electric motor and have been damaged by corrosive water leaking from a faulty shaft seal onto the bearings. I do not recommend that you rebuild the motor yourself, the pump (wet-end) is quite simple and should be no trouble.

The motor is a ge 5kcp49wn9070x.

First result from google:

Spa Pump replacement for PUUMS2602582F 1016174 1016184 PUUMSC2602582F, 1016159, PL342, 1016160, PL343, PL389, 1016167, PL388, 1016166, puumsc2602582fds, cal spas pump, cal spa pump, 5KCP49WN9070X, 1016170, 5kcp49wn9070x

This is a different pump, but says it can replace the one I have.

This site is where I bought the pump rebuild kit from:

Cal Spa Pump Model PUUMSC2602582FDS Need Impeller and Seals - Pump Repair Supply

The site has videos linked to it to help you repair the pump yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePumpGuys/about

It will cost $345 to have that new pump sent to me....

the rebuild kit is $50...

I agree with RDavis. I've tried to replace bearings before on various devices and it never goes as well or lasts as long as you think it will.

I had a similar situation to your on my hot tub except that the motor had fully seized when I took over the hot tub. I am a guy who likes fixing stuff and I decided on the whole new motor and wet-end, on the basis that I could see that the other motor and wet-end looked much newer, and that if one was going then the other was probably likely to go soon. As it is, it was a "whole bucket of curse words" job because the motors are heavy and not in a very accessible position, and I had to cut out various bits of plumbing as I think someone had attempted a previous repair with some kind of glue.

So the motor/pump assembly arrived. And from the looks of it, it's not going to work because the hump thing (run capacitor?)on top is about an inch higher than the clearance allowed by the heat exchanger. ARGH!!

This is the old motor:

Cal Spa Pump Model PUUMSC2602582FDS - Pump Repair Supply

The new motor is model # puumsc2602582f:

Spa Pump replacement for PUUMS2602582F 1016174 1016184 PUUMSC2602582F, 1016159, PL342, 1016160, PL343, PL389, 1016167, PL388, 1016166, puumsc2602582fds, cal spas pump, cal spa pump, 5KCP49WN9070X, 1016170, 5kcp49wn9070x

What to do? Does this mean that I'm SOL?

Extra bucket of curse words :-(

The motors are *supposed* to be similar sizes. You said that your old unit was an 5kcp49wn9070x - what you bought says it replaces 5kcp49wn9070x - so I would say that this is a problem that the seller needs to fix.

Marc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update...

I had a spa repair service come out to do the installation of the replacement motor/pump assembly.

He wound up unscrewing the screws that attached the capacitor cover, leaving the capacitor dangling so that the pump would fit. He put the cover back on top of the capacitor, just not screwed in.

$120 for him to do the installation, but I just felt better that it was done right and over with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.