I'm Disgusted....

tim5055

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2014
Franklin, NC
I really can't believe some people. We have a house int the neighborhood which has been abandoned for four or five months. No, this is not a "green pool" story.

The president of the homeowners association told me it had been foreclosed. OK, I understand that. people have many reasons for financial difficulty, many not within their control. This as it turns out was a divorce. The wife moved out and in the property settlement the husband got the house. He stayed for about two years before loosing the house.

Why am I disgusted? I just found out that when he moved out he took his dog but abandoned a cat at the house. From the looks of it he kicked a hole in the garage door so the cat could go in and out and just drove away.

Several neighbors have been feeding her, but she was just laying in the front yard waiting for her family to come home.

Well, lets just say she is in her new home now........

Good for you, Tim. Similar story and mine was family.

I'm not a cat guy but this one deserved a chance so he is happily ensconced in my Tool Shop and is a truly delightful cat. (Is that even possible with cats?) We are so happy we "saved" him and the darn cat actually seems appreciative. Oh, we named him "Tom"......pretty clever, huh? :mrgreen:

Well, our house has always had cats, emphasis on the plural. With the latest addition we have five cats and a German Shepherd Dog. So far the dog is not really interested, one cat is accepting, one cat hasn't discovered her yet and two - not so much.

Pets are our family and I just don't understand folks who could just abandon them.

I'm certainly not a cat person, but that's just inexcusable. At least take the cat to a shelter if you really don't want it. We love our dog that came from a shelter. She's got her quirks from previous owner neglect but that just gives her some character.

Similar story here. My neighbor across the street got his house for super cheap. These homes were built at the height of the housing madness and were selling in excess of $600k. All of the original buyers here got seriously hosed when the market crashed and most of them are barely above water in terms of their mortgages. My neighbor's house was a foreclosure sale - he got it for $325k !!! Totally took down the comps in our neighborhood but the bank, at the time three years ago, was willing to sell it for anything.

Why do I mention this - the previous owner of my neighbor's home basically walked away from his mortgage when he and his wife split up after the crash and he left "her" two dogs and cats in the house. They were in there for months (back door was rigged open with a make-shift dog door) and the house was a disgusting mess. Suffice it to say, my neighbor took every penny he saved on the great sale price and used it to rehabilitate the inside (walls ripped back to the studs in some rooms).

Tim, some people are just heartless, cruel {adult_language_not_allowed_on_TFP}! There just no getting around it. To abandon an animal like that is just sick. You could call animal control in your area but, if brought to the pound, most have a 60-day orphan policy that ends in euthanasia. You could also try to contact an humane animal rescue society that can try to save the cat.

We just had to have our cat of 16-1/2 years put down last week right before Christmas. So reading this story really steams me up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

How people treat the animals in their lives tells much about their character. They often have similar value for the people in their lives as well. You're a good man, Tim! My teenage son volunteers at the local animal shelter and helps socialize and exercise the cats that are up for adoption. He loves working with the cats. They have plenty of people who walk the dogs but not as many who play with the cats.

Be proud of yourself. No matter how much you think YOU picked the cat.............you know dang well the CAT picked you! They're a pretty good judge of character.
<<<<<<<...Tolerated by many cats over the years.

Unfortunately, there is no mandated test humans must pass to care for a beloved pet (or have children, but that's a different thread). Thankfully there are good ones like yourself that help to take care of the issues those types of losers cause.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well done Tim!

This summer we took in an 18 year old cat that had been left in a house. He had been in there for 2 weeks before they found him :( He was skin and bones.

He is almost blind, cannot hear a thing BUT is thriving here! Eating everything in sight, purring, loving all of his furr friends here.

Zea great job on your son! You are SO right about the cats don't get the exercise they need.

Kim

So glad you took her in! A lot of animals of all types get treated badly, but cats seem to be viewed as disposable by a lot of people. I'm currently owned by three cats - two I rescued as babies (1-2 weeks old) and had to bottle feed, the whole nine yards, and one that I adopted from a shelter I used to work at. I hate hearing stories of cats being abandoned, but I love hearing stories like Tim's and Kim's where they're adopted into new homes.

Well, she is a little camera shy right now. Probably sensory overload from four other cats and a German Shepherd Dog.

Patches.jpg

She is adorable Tim. My ex husband had a friend that lost his house n he did this very thing to his cat. We kept asking him, did you get the cat n he'd never answer. We went to the house n saw her in the window. We confronted him n he said he was going to get her. A month went by n she was still there. We got into the house n it was deplorable! No food, no water, hot as heck, fleas infested n smelled strongly of urine. My ex husband still has her to this day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.