Liner floating

Jun 8, 2014
Rogers, AR
With all of the rain the last couple of days my liner took a hit.

I ran two hoses and was able to keep the pool from overflowing but the liner is floating all around the pool and the shallow end has come out of the track and is floating pretty bad. I can't see the full damages under the cover so I am waiting for the pool company to open but I need to prepare myself mentally for the damages.

The pool is closed for the winter, the liner is less than two years old. The water level is to the top of the skimmer box. I have read these kinds of threads before so I understand the process but I am unsure of a couple of things. Do I keep lowering or stop? Can anything even be done this time of year?

Is the liner ripped?

Two primary causes of floating:

1. Groundwater

2. Liner leak

(3) A combination of both.

Groundwater is resolved by removing the surrounding groundwater either with a french drain, drywells or a combination of both. Where is the water table in your yard? If it is above the bottom of the pool you have a problem. If its groundwater lowering the water in the pool probably won't change much.

Liner leaks are repaired by patching the rip or hole (or replacing the liner) and then removing the offending water (with a vacuum usually).

You want to figure out now what is occurring so you can resolve the problem.

It's all ground water. We just got swamped and this area is in a state of emergency.

I called my pool company and they said they were starting to get calls.

The liner doesn't appear to be ripped, they told me to lower it to the bottom of the skimmer. They can't do anything until the ground water goes down. They are going to drain and re-seat the liner.

Okay. Gotta follow their advice. I am sorry for your troubles. Remember that as the groundwater recedes, your pool level will lower on its own. The water behind the liner has probably already caused your pool to overflow a bit so you have less water volume in a smaller "container".

That is exactly right. We have had liners floating all week from ground water. Most liner pools, believe it or not, are not water-tight behind the liner and ground water can and will seep in behind it. If the liner is not damaged they should be able to re-install it in the spring. Resetting a liner in the cold is problematic as it looses its flexibility and all liners stretch into place with water weight.

That is exactly right. We have had liners floating all week from ground water. Most liner pools, believe it or not, are not water-tight behind the liner and ground water can and will seep in behind it. If the liner is not damaged they should be able to re-install it in the spring. Resetting a liner in the cold is problematic as it looses its flexibility and all liners stretch into place with water weight.

I asked them about it fitting correctly if they do it now and they said it didn't matter. There is no guarantee it will work either now or in the spring.

Perhaps I should have them wait then? I already had my opening scheduled for 3/22. I assume it will be too cold then too. Last year I opened on 3/23 and the water temp was 47 degrees.

Your liner will settle back into place when the ground water recedes. It may settle with wrinkles in the floor or walls and those should be fixed when the water and daily temps are warmer. If this was an unusual amount of rain for your area and you have had this pool for years without ground water problems then you can wait for warm weather to reset the liner. If you have had ground water problems before you may want to look into making drainage improvements to divert the ground water away from the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This was unusual. My pool is actually deeply sloped away from the pool on two sides.

I was able to look under the cover really well today. The shallow end is totally floating and pulled away from the track. It goes down the incline to the deep end about a third of the way. The bottom and about 1/2 up the sides of the hopper are fine in the deep end. The top half of the deep end are floating but the liner is still in the track. The liner is pretty stretched.

I am going to call the pool company tomorrow and tell them I want to wait and cancel my opening.

They like to get an early start to the season and start opening in March. They give a $50.00 Gift Card if you do it. The GC comes in handy so I always agree to a March opening.

I can't believe what a difference a week makes. Yesterday the liner was really starting to settle in and today it was all the way re-seated with zero wrinkles.

My pool guy came out today pulled the cover back and checked it over really well and and put the liner back in the track. A couple of corners were loose so they tightened those back up as well.

They said I was really, really lucky that it re-seated itself so well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.