How quickly can the Sun "eat" your Chlorine

Hi guys

Stinking hot in my part of the world (40'C in my language or over 100'F for my American friends) . It's also School holiday time which means the pool is getting a lot more use and the cover is off most of the day.

What I wanted to get some feedback on is what would be considered "normal" for FC to potentially drop on a high use day? ie with high bather load and high sunshine?

Reason I ask is yesterday my FC was 6ppm I tested today and I am at 3 ppm. As I say high use and the sun is beating down, but would that be considered normal to drop that amount in a day?

These are my figures

Ph 7.4
CYA 70
FC (yesterday morning 6ppm) after use all day and cover off FC today was 3ppm (I just added some Liquid Chlorine to give it a kick back up)

Other than the 3ppm drop the water looks great. I am going to try dial up my SWG a notch or 2 to try and compensate but just wanted to get a feel if the above scenario would be considered normal or do I potentially have something more sinister to worry about?

Cheers

Hiya Docker_Rob,

Hot day isn't it in WA?, I've just posted a similar thread asking about this and when to SLAM, like you my FC has dropped from 6 - 3 in the last couple of days, with the high temp and frequent use like yourself, so its kinda confirmed to me given you have the same issue that I may need to dial up the SWG (currently 40%, to 50-60%), I've just added some chlorine to bring it back up now. My pool was bordering on cloudy with the drop in FC, going to keep an eye on it this afternoon!.

I noticed in your signature you got the TF-100 to Perth, can I ask how? I'm awaiting mine using ShopMate

Good to see another WA'er

Just to reassure you, 3ppm FC loss during the day is not unusual. Please remember that following our methods 3ppm FC with 70CYA in a SWG pool isthe absolute minimum. You may want to,target 7ppm to give a little "insurance" to make sure you don't go too low on the chlorine.

Hiya Docker_Rob,

I noticed in your signature you got the TF-100 to Perth, can I ask how? I'm awaiting mine using ShopMate

Hi Hawknz, : Re the TF100 Kit. My wife was in the US for work and we ordered one shipped to the Hotel. Freight as you know is the kiiler for us

Everyone else, thanks for the replies, gives me a bit of piece of mind. I was concerned I may have had an issue possibly even with a SWG cell on the way out of soemthing. All good and time to get back in the Pool before I melt! :D

Hi Guys,

I am in exactly in the same boat and just trying to 'stay afloat' (pardon the pun) above the target range for my CYA of 80. I am topping up with a litre of liquid chlorine to take me up to about 8-9FC a couple above my target of 6. Everything going well so far.

Best time to add the liquid chlorine is about 5pm when the heat of the sun comes off the pool. My pool is looking good though.

I am running my SWG about 8 hours at 100% to keep up.

Good tip-get a solar cover it makes a big difference to saving your FC during the heat of the day

Yes unfortunately was the SWG provided with the pool when it was installed- knowing what I do now I realise that it is way undersized for our hot summers. But our electricity prices here are horrendous- so the lesser of 2 evils I'm afraid although I do use the LQ to top up. I've accepted that I will eventually buy the oversized version next time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
<Snip>

Other than the 3ppm drop the water looks great. I am going to try dial up my SWG a notch or 2 to try and compensate but just wanted to get a feel if the above scenario would be considered normal or do I potentially have something more sinister to worry about?

Cheers

Losing 3ppm per day, in that sort of heat and sunshine is not bad, actually. I would thank that, this year, you would be especially hard hit due to the size of the ozone hole.....

3 ppm is not a lot under the conditions. However, if the swg was on during the time, then you lost 3 ppm in addition to whatever the swg produced. How much chlorine did the swg produce in the time period in question?

Docker_rob

Hi from Dallas, TX .

My average daily FC depletion rate during the summer is between 2.25 - 3.0 .

This is with an average summer (June-Aug) temp in Dallas between 34-37°C.

My CYA level is usually maintained between 30-40 .

Docker_rob

Hi from Dallas, TX .

My average daily FC depletion rate during the summer is between 2.25 - 3.0 .

This is with an average summer (June-Aug) temp in Dallas between 34-37°C.

My CYA level is usually maintained between 30-40 .

About right for me in Pennsylvania, on a 90° day with full sun 12 hours a day.

Docker Rob... Glad your pool is ok and you are in control. Its a great feeling! Enjoy the forum!

Re: How quickly can the Sun &quot;eat&quot; your Chlorine

Wow Jezza, that's pretty intense mate !

Since getting my new test kit and starting to get my head around all this I've been able to drop my SWG run time from 8 hours a day at 80% to 4 hours a day at 60% and I reckon I can get that down even further. FC is staying constant around 7ppm, CYA is still a bit low, but I'm gradually pushing it up.

We've got a 40 degree C (+100 degree F) day here right now and Total Fire Ban so I'm keeping a close eye on what happens to my FC loss today.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow Jezza, that's pretty intense mate !

Since getting my new test kit and starting to get my head around all this I've been able to drop my SWG run time from 8 hours a day at 80% to 4 hours a day at 60% and I reckon I can get that down even further. FC is staying constant around 7ppm, CYA is still a bit low, but I'm gradually pushing it up.

We've got a 40 degree C (+100 degree F) day here right now and Total Fire Ban so I'm keeping a close eye on what happens to my FC loss today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.