When to purchase test kits

rmclain73

Silver Supporter
May 18, 2013
Needham, MA
So I just recently received a bunch of amazon gift cards for Christmas. I have family that will be in town until just past New Year's. In the past they have given us department store gift cards and we then go to the mall and pick out whatever it is we want. We do this while they are here so they can see what it is that we chose with their cards. Our pool is being installed late march early April. Should be completed by Mid to late June. I was planning on using the gift cards to get various items for the pool including the Taylor k 2006 kit. Question is would it be premature to purchase the kit now with the gift cards? I doubt they would go bad by summer 2016, or am I wrong?

Two answers.

1) It might be marginally better to wait, yet...

2) I've never had any reagents go bad in less than over 2 years.

Note: There are two "K-2006" kits. There is the K-2006A and the K-2006C. "A" bottles are .75 ounce bottles and "C" bottles are 2 Ounce bottles. "A" bottles will fit in the "C" case, while "C" bottles will not fit in the "A" case. In my personal opinion, the "C" kit is the better deal, because you are mostly set for two seasons.

See here: Caring for your test kit , how to know when the reagents are getting old, and how to choose a test kit.

Two answers.

1) It might be marginally better to wait, yet...

2) I've never had any reagents go bad in less than over 2 years.

Note: There are two "K-2006" kits. There is the K-2006A and the K-2006C. "A" bottles are .75 ounce bottles and "C" bottles are 2 Ounce bottles. "A" bottles will fit in the "C" case, while "C" bottles will not fit in the "A" case. In my personal opinion, the "C" kit is the better deal, because you are mostly set for two seasons.

See here: Caring for your test kit , how to know when the reagents are getting old, and how to choose a test kit.

Can you reuse the "A" size bottles or do they need to be thrown out once empty. Could you refill an "A" bottle with a "C" bottle or one of large size?

I buy the biggest refills I can. They are kept in a little used cabinet. The little bottle's white top comes out very easy when it is refill time. I do write the date bought on my refill bottles just so I can keep track of their age BUT I have not had any problems with them so far.

Kim

Can you reuse the "A" size bottles or do they need to be thrown out once empty. Could you refill an "A" bottle with a "C" bottle or one of large size?

Absolutely! You can buy replacement bottles and dropper caps, too. I own the K-2006C and refill some reagents from a larger bottle. I find that I realize a savings of up to 77% on some reagents. However, not everybody will do so. Many factors affect the most thrifty quantity for the individual buyer and those include, but are not limited to desire to purchase for single or multiple seasons, frequency of testing, portion of the year the pool is open, sample size, and target levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.