DE filter and DE separation tank

Nursenini

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 22, 2015
Bixby, Ok
A sand filter is included with our build, but I think I'm going to change that to a DE filter.

The filter I was told we would be getting is the Hayward DE Pro-Grid 72. Is this good? All my PB deals in is Hayward products.

Also, is a DE Separation tank necessary? What are the pros/cons of having it vs not having it?

Thank you! Still puzzling this all out....

i just put in a DE filter. They are great. Make sure you shop against the PB pricing because you can save about $500 if you order through Amazon, i ordered my through Jet.com. I also ordered the separation tank. This allows you to backwash the DE water back into your pool without wasting any or flooding an area with backwash. You can them dump the used DE into your garden or around your house foundation for inspection control. I choose the Separation tank because the best place for me to do a regular backwash is where im going to my kids playground and i didnt want to flood their area. Now i can just save the water and put it back into my pool.

i just put in a DE filter. They are great. Make sure you shop against the PB pricing because you can save about $500 if you order through Amazon, i ordered my through Jet.com. I also ordered the separation tank. This allows you to backwash the DE water back into your pool without wasting any or flooding an area with backwash. You can them dump the used DE into your garden or around your house foundation for inspection control. I choose the Separation tank because the best place for me to do a regular backwash is where im going to my kids playground and i didnt want to flood their area. Now i can just save the water and put it back into my pool.

Thank you for the information!

I have a DE filter WITHOUT a separation tanks. I love the DE filtration quality. But a DE filter is a bit more work than a sand filter and will require a good deal of elbow grease at least once per year to tear down and clean out. Backwashing also requires you to add DE afterwards so it also poses an ongoing, but small, expense.

I would advise against a separation tank unless it is required by your county's pool code (some municipalities require separation tanks for DE). Separation tanks are just another piece of equipment hanging off your filter that can and will get gummed up over time. All it is is a tank with a nylon bag in it plumbed into your backwash line to capture DE and gunk from your filter when you backwash. The bag is disposable and has to be changed every few backwashes. It is not meant as a form of filtration so I would advise against dumping backwash water back into your pool as it will contain particulates, dead algae and foreign matter that the separation tank bag can not filter out. Normally you would plumb your backwash line into your sewer clear-out drain connection (if you have a municipal sewer connection at your house) that way all of the backwash goes down the drain. My equipment pad is not located near the sewer drain clear-out and so I discharge directly onto my property in a corner that drains out into an unused back lot and a part of the property that no one goes near. You need to be a bit careful with discharged DE because when it dries out it can become a dust and inhalation hazard so it should never be allowed to pool and build up on your property near where anyone might work or play. Many people substitute cellulose fiber for DE to avoid the dust hazard.

A sand filter is a fine choice for a pool. Many people on TFP have them and love them for their simplicity and ease-of-use. You can also add a little DE to sand filter to increase it's performance a bit. Another good option, if you can afford the biggest filter possible, is a cartridge filter. They are mid-way in performance between a sand and DE filter and require no backwashing. The only downside is you have to tear them down to clean them out but, if you get a big enough one, that could only be once or twice per year. In areas where water is expensive, a good cartridge filter can save you money by not using water for backwashing.

Most all of us LOVE the type filter we have. :mrgreen::mrgreen: I guess that's because we understand how to make it work and changing to something else when the current one is just fine is unthinkable.

My choice is sand. I have a very large one and it does it's job perfectly and has offered ease of use and water clarity for 9 years.

Sorry for the delay in responding to all of your input!
I just figured out how to easily find my threads...Had lost this one for a bit.

I really like the idea of the finer filtration as well as night time clarity. We will be out in the pool and around the pool quite a bit after dark.

I don't mind using elbow grease! And since this will be on me to do, changing DE vs changing sand looks to be less back breaking.

Kim, do you notice a difference adding the DE to the sand vs. not adding it?

What do you all think of the filter sizes I listed? Are they big enough/appropriate for my pool size (still debating on which one)?

-30" Hayward High Rate Sand filter

-Hayward DE ProGrid 72

Also, in looking at the specs on the DE ProGrid 60 vs the PRoGrid 72, it looks like there's no difference except the shape. I do see quite a few TFPers with the 60 and wondered why I haven't seen the 72 listed in any signatures.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.